noob....Heat from Lights

crustymonk

I just got 384 watts of metal halide and T5 for my 80 gal and notice the water temp starting to get up around 85-88 degrees. The lights are about 8" above the tank. What is a acceptable water temp and what are my option to cool it down if needed.
Thanks

W

winstew

If you have any type of top you can take them off. Circulation might help to. If all else fails and money sn't an option they do sell chillers.

misfit

You should keep temp around 80-82.You shouldnt need a chiller.fans will work wonders, they can be mounted in your canopy and if you have asump ,you can also get a clip on fan to blow across the top of the water .This will cool things down plenty.

X

xrobbx03

i was actually wonder about tank temp myself. Im going to be running 480 total watts of mh and pc on my 38 only using the mounting legs that come with the lights. But the lights do have fans built in. Will i have to worry about my tank temp going crazy.

dogstar

IMO, reefs should be kept anywhere near a few degree either side of 80F but important that it stays stable. However you can do it.

ruaround

how long is your photo period??? and as stated before... fans do work... and a fairly inexpensive...

sly

I had a heat problem on my 72 tank until I mounted fans in the canopy. My water was heating up like yours and all I needed to do was mount two computer fans. One of them blows into the canopy and the other one sucks the exhaust out. It cured my heat problem. I don't even have to take the glass cover off my tank. It stays cool even with it still on.