Not a commercial

jim672

This is interesting.
I went to the link and started an order. I "ordered" 50 shrimp.....$15.00, then put in my shipping info and had the site calculate my total cost......$35.80!! That seems like alot of money for some "fish food".
I know......they'll be little janitors until they're eaten. But how long would that take? Not long, I'd guess. Put those little shrimp (is that redundant??) in a tank with some hungry tangs or triggers and I think they'd last only as long as they could hide. (While they're hiding, would they be doing much cleaning??)
I think I'll stick with conventional feeding methods.
Jim

melbournefl

WOW $20 for shipping seems a bit high but then again they are probably shipped with water and overnight delivery. It's probably about the same shipping if you ordered 1,000 of the buggers though so ....
Thanks for the info though :)
Later,
Paul

jim672

Paul,
Yeah, I thought about ordering 100....or 1000 and I agree, the shipping and Handling charges probably wouldn't increase much.
However, since these little guys are scavengers, putting too many of them in a tank would certainly cause some starvation.....for the ones who couldn't find enough food. Not only would that be a waste of money, but it's a little cruel as well. If lots of them died, I suspect it might cause an ammonia problem, too?
Jim

melbournefl

LOL yeah Jim you're right, depending on the tank size it wouldn't be very cost effective, you'ld lose more than your fish ate probably. Shame they can't come up with some other ways of shipping to make the cost more reasonable though.
Later,
Paul

scotts

My borther lives in Oregon so shipping Christmas present up there can be costly depending, what it is. We can use the shipping department at work to ship stuff, we just have to pay the shipping costs. I bought my brother 2 DVDs and was real happy because the shipping costs would be low. It cost $22 to ship, more than the cost of the DVDs. I looked at the form and I did not specify how I wanted it shipped. The guy shipped it overnight guaranteed delivery before 10:30. I know always color in the box marked ground delivery. :D
Scott

jim672

Scott,
I agree. Problem is, most internet sw places, including The SaltyShrimp, REQUIRE their live products be shipped Priority Overnite, delivery by 10:30. Most of the time, this is because these places offer guarantees that their products will arrive alive. Ground tranportation can take 3 to 7 days. No way sw animals will live in a closed, unheated bag for that length of time.
Jim

scotts

After some snooping around my lfs sells these for freshwater. Do you think they could be acclimated for salt water? And they are cheap there.
Scott