Not now. Too soon

bender77

I so ready to raise fry again, but I can't start until after Thanksgiving. I'm going out of town and my pet sitter won't do fry. I've told my horses this several times. Please no babies until after Thanksgiving. This morning I go to feed, and my little male has a BIG pouch. I so hope it's water and he is showing off. I worked 14hrs yesterday, so I have no idea if he had an egg transfer or not. Maybe I'll get lucky and he will go exactly 21 days. That will make the babies be here the day I get back. Oh well, guess I"ll miss this first batch.

bender77

Me too Snake. I loved raising them the last time. I put the DH on notice that he has to finish the drywall in the laundry room and get my RO/DI unit up so I don't have to buy water. I just placed an order for decapped brine shrimp eggs and most likely I will get the 10g up and going this afternoon to check pumps and everything. Just in case. Then I'll go to the LFS tomorrow to get some chaeto so I can try and get some pods in the tank. I think the fry do better if they have pods to snack on too.

snakeblitz33

I've never raised seahorses, but I am intrigued. You know way more about it than I do. I'm glad, though, that you are taking every precaution you can in order to save your babies. :D
The only breeding I've ever done was clownfish, and I wasn't very successful, besides not having the time to do it.

bender77

I don't know that I would call myself "successful" LOL Last time I had adult horses they only produced 1 batch of fry. Out of that batch I managed to get 11 to adulthood. This time I'm going to use probiotics (the same one's I'm dosing my tanks with) to help enrich my BBS. They are supposed to help boost the immune system. So, if I do in fact have a pregnant seahorse, and it's not just water for showing off. Here is the tiny offender

Not sure which female is the mom but I think it's this one

But it could be her

snakeblitz33

Aww... too cute. "The offender" funny funny. lol
keep the pics coming... I want to get in on the details. Raising 11 seahorses to me is amazing! Much more successful then I would ever be at it.
I personally plan on getting back into raising clownfish again. I might move on later to orchid dottybacks, but I dunno quite yet where life will throw me.

bender77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/388910/not-now-too-soon#post_3432962
Aww... too cute. "The offender" funny funny. lol
keep the pics coming... I want to get in on the details. Raising 11 seahorses to me is amazing! Much more successful then I would ever be at it.
I personally plan on getting back into raising clownfish again. I might move on later to orchid dottybacks, but I dunno quite yet where life will throw me.
I will defiantly try and keep a thread updated. Even if this batch doesn't work out, I'll do one with another batch. God willing they have more. I'd love to see a thread on orchid dottybacks. I just put one in my 24g nano last week, it's beautiful, I just wish it would come out more. Hopefully with time. It looks like the clowns may have beat up on it a little, but I never see them bothering it. It's top fin is a little ragged, and it looked fine before I added her. S/he is eating OK and coming out more, so fingers crossed it will be OK.

1guydude

+1 me too...
only thing ive seen spawn are my emerald crabs and those eggs got snacked on! LOL
twice!
Good luck and i hope u dont miss out on the babys b-days

teresaq

One thing to remember, clean, clean tanks.
I also had better luck in the first few weeks with small round tanks, then moved to a 20 gal. (about 250 fry) lol and I only got 27 to adult hood.
I think the worse die off was weeks 4 to 6 when you are tring to convert to frozen.
Water changes several times a day, and complete clean outs every 2 to 3 days. They are messy things.
have you seen Dans new feed. I want to try it next time.
Good Luck.
T

bender77

My probiotics and food are both from Dan lol. I like his food. I know about the cleaning. Man the water and salt I went through the last time. I'm so excited about trying again, I'm just bummed it seems like this batch will be at a bad time. I just hope if I can't get these I'll have another batch soon after.