Not sure what to do.....

polka

Hello....I have a simple tank: 40 gal f/o, c/c sub, bakpak2, All readings are excellent with exception to nitrate which is .40. I have 1 small yellow tang, 1 clarki, 1 marron clown, 2 green chromis, 1 cleaner shrimp. Questions are : 1. I am running into an algae problem to which I have been told I should get some snails and crabs. Is this correct? 2. I was looking at the package deals here, the package for 20 gal. tank would seem to me to be enough, yes or no? 3. If I do get these snails and crabs do I acclimate them into my tank all at once? I know with fish you only do 1 or 2 at a time. I am getting kind of nervous about what to do. Thank you for your wisdom!!

mr . salty

How old is this tank?? Have you done any water changes yet?? A good skimmer,and water changes are about the only way to rid your tank of nitrates. Inverts(like what are in a cleanup crew) do not impact the bio system as fish do. So,YES,you can add them all at once. But they rarly eat problem algae.

polka

Mr. Salty, My tank is about 1 1/2 years old or new, however you want to put it. Anyway thank you for input. I understand about the water changes, how often is too much? What do you consider "problem algae"? what I have in the tank now is sort of golden and in places lime green. I wouldn't say that it is taking over but I would like to know what can control it. I usually do h2o changes every three to four weeks. I use the water purifier and let it sit for 24 hours before I use it. I also have the water circulating and heated to about 70. (this is after I add the salt.) then I drain some water and clean the cr. coral. Could you give me some advise on how often I should be vacuuming the sub? I have read all different opinions on this, what is yours? I thank you for your time and patience with my newbie questions!!

polka

I had one other question.....for a f/o tank does it matter what type of light? I currently have a 50/50. I had a hard time finding it locally, found a lot of 100% actinic. Does it matter?