nothing will live

Everything i seam to buy and put in my tank dies i just bought a shrimp today and it died in like 2 hours and i've hade damsels and a flame angel that died as well i dont know why everything keeps dieing!

lion_crazz

We need lots of info here.
How fast are the fish dying?
How do you acclimate the fish when you take them home?
What are your pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates?
Do the fish eat at the LFS before you buy them?
What size is your tank?
How long has it been set-up?

The damsels died after a day and the flame angel died that night after i turned off the lights.I acclimate my fish buy floating the bag for ten minutes then adding tank water and repeat this process 3 times and then let them out. i use the quick dip tests and they always read out fine. im not sure if they eat when their at the store. my tank is 55 gallons and has been set up for 2 months.

david24

First thing is don't put anything else in your tank until you get this figured out.
How did your fish look when they died? Were they breathing hard, staying at the bottom of the tank, etc. etc.
Do you have any established fish that could be bullying new arrivals?
What's your salinity?
On the left side of this webpage see the "Acclimation button" it's the best way to acclimate fishes.

lion_crazz

Okay, well there is a whole bunch of problems with the above info you provided.
1.) Without seeing the fish eat at the LFS, there is no way to know whether the fish are healthy or not when you buy them.
2.) Your acclimation procedure is probably what is killing the fish. Not only are they not being acclimated properly, but you are letting toxic, ammonia-filled water into your tank (not to mention copper, or whatever other medications your LFS runs)
3. Quick dip tests are highly inaccurate and you will never get a good indication of your water levels with these. A liquid test, such as the Aquarium Pharmaceutical kit is much better and more accurate.

how do i acclamite them? where can i get a good water tester? and how do i know if the fish are eating or not? i got all of them from ***** and they say that they dont feed them the fish few days when the fish arrive and they do not have any guarantee.

lion_crazz

To acclimate, follow these instructions: https://www.saltwaterfish.com//Acclimation_ep_48-1.html
This website sells very good water testers. Check them out in the dry goods section.
I would never buy a fish without seeing it eat. If the store refuses to feed the fish in front of you, DO NOT buy it. If they do not feed it for you, find a new LFS and let them know you will tell everyone you know in the hobby of their bad practices.
Also, please make new posts in this thread, instead of posting new threads. Just hit "reply".

david24

Yellow Tangs are very territorial even in larger tanks. I know I have one that went after every fish I tried to pair with it in a 125.
Don't get fish from ***** if possible.

i got a shrimp today and it was hanging out in the castle in my tank and that is where my tang always hangs out could he have killed the shrimp it was alive when i left and when i came back it was dead. i aslo have two clown fish and the first one i got is seams to bully the other one around is that normal?

1journeyman

How big is tank?
What is your salinity at?
What type of filtration, live rock, substrate?
How long has tank been set up?

petjunkie

Has the tank been set up two months total or two months after cycling because honestly two months into the hobby you should have one hardy fish and you already have three live, plus the ones that have died, your tank is not prepared to handle lots of fish yet and you will continue to have death unless you slow down. How did you cycle the tank, how much live rock and live sand do you have and what kind of filtration. I would highly recommend buying some real test kits, sailfert are top of the line but red sea or api would be ok, how are you testing salinity also?

turningtim

Originally Posted by kirkreynolds
does no one know how to help me on this?
All of us can and will help but we need the info that has been asked for.
We need to know your water parameters, NitrIte, NitrAte, Amn, PH, SG/salinity. What is the filtration? Any info that you can provide will give us a better understanding of what is happening in your tank.
First thing you need to do is STOP, take a breath, SLOW down and read/research a bunch more. The only thing in this hobby that happens fast is disaster!

farslayer

Originally Posted by TurningTim
We need to know your water parameters, NitrIte, NitrAte, Amn, PH, SG/salinity. What is the filtration? Any info that you can provide will give us a better understanding of what is happening in your tank.
First thing you need to do is STOP, take a breath, SLOW down and read/research a bunch more. The only thing in this hobby that happens fast is disaster!
Now that's a good quote!
Post a pic of your tank as well, I'd like to see what you've got. The fact you said you have a "castle" highly concerns me.

R

reefernana

Originally Posted by TurningTim
I'm glad you said this, cuz I was thinking the same thing. My tank is only 2 mos old and I just added a lawnmower blenny to go along with my inverts. He's been doing great for his first week but I wouldn't think of adding anything else for a while. Well, maybe some palys..........lol!

rabbit_72

I can totally relate to fish dying and not being able to keep them alive, and my tank has been running for over a year with no obvious reasons as to why the fish breathe hard and die hours later.
However, eveyone will try to help as much as possible as long as you provide your water parameters and so forth. I am still working out my problems with help from this board and it has been almost a month now and for us impatient people, that's like a year!

Based on what you have posted, I'd advise to leave your tank alone for a while and not add any more fish until you figure out what is going on.
How long has your tank been running? (I don't know if you posted that already.) And as we found out, freshwater aquarium decor is not for saltwater. (You mention a castle.) We tried that when we first started out, after all, the tank in Finding Nemo had lots of decorations, right?? BUt it really just isn't suitable for SW.
Please get back to everyone here, and let us know what is going on.....

I have a 55 gallon tank. It has one medium piece of live rock in it, a castle and the bottom is covered in gravel and shells. It has been running for a little over a month total. I didnt add fish until after the first week. I have a aqua-tech power filter 30-60. Im not sure what anything in my tank is really at because i was just using dip strip test and was told that they are very inaccurate and all my water test were fine.