Nova Extreme HO T5's

hanzo26

I am planning on getting some of these for a 125 reef aquarium? How good are the HO Nova's? Does anybody have one? Do they have enough power to be able to hold SPS?

dragonzim

If you want to keep SPS you should look at the Nova PRO series. They have individual reflectors for each bulb which is something you definitely want to have with corals.

reefraff

If your serious about SPS even the Pro extreme isn't a good choice. It does have better reflectors than just the flat ones on the regular extreme but they aren't even close to what the the higher end fixture use. If you just want a few SPS up on the rocks it would be fine

snakeblitz33

sps can grow just fine under that lighting. I've had great successes. If you are serious about sps corals however, you need to seriously consider going with 2x250 metal halide fixtures. It's probably the best investment that you can buy.

perfectdark

IMO the Nova Pro series is sufficient for SPS, depending on tank depth, higer placment maybe necessary. Although not parabolic they have individual reflectors. However I will argue that if you have the extra $ to opt for the aquatinics or Tek's with true individual parabolic reflectors and you will indeed be able to keep what ever you could keep with MH lights matching wattage. Although your up front cost maybe close to MH in the long run its cheaper. JMO. And if you over drive them IMO they surpass MH. Again jmo.

hanzo26

Yes, I was looking at the Nova HO Pro Series for the new tank. I figured I could keep any SPS towards to top 3/4 of the tank and they would do fine. I want to make sure that the lighting would be sufficient for the corals to grow as well. I will check the aquactinics out...

paperusa

Originally Posted by Hanzo26
http:///forum/post/2511748
I am planning on getting some of these for a 125 reef aquarium? How good are the HO Nova's? Does anybody have one? Do they have enough power to be able to hold SPS?
any ho t-5 two to four bulb unit with individual reflectors will grow anything!

mgatdog

I just got a nova extreme pro for my 125 for 549.99 I think they

[hr]
up the price . A few days later they change the price to 649.99 lucky me.