Nova Extreme Pro

fats71

Ok, so on my LFS forum some guys have been telling me to stay away from these lights. I have added some LPS torch zoes nothing big to my tank and am using stock lighting. They are doing ok but as we all know they will not grow super fast.
Anyway, I want to be able to add a lot more and get the best bang for my buck and as these are in my price range I do not see the problem with them. I like the design much better than a tek hang up its cheaper than tek as you have to buy splash guards legs etc for the tek which for the same light costs around 500 bucks as ooposed to 300 for the nova extreme pro that has everything indavidual reflectors etc.
Is their other lights I should be looking into ? I can not afford 500 dollars for a 48 inch 75 gal 20 inch deep tank. i want to be able to have anything I wannt in the tank but I just cant afford 500 plus dollars for lights any help would be appreciated.

m0nk

Originally Posted by Fats71
http:///forum/post/2543475
Ok, so on my LFS forum some guys have been telling me to stay away from these lights. I have added some LPS torch zoes nothing big to my tank and am using stock lighting. They are doing ok but as we all know they will not grow super fast.
Anyway, I want to be able to add a lot more and get the best bang for my buck and as these are in my price range I do not see the problem with them. I like the design much better than a tek hang up its cheaper than tek as you have to buy splash guards legs etc for the tek which for the same light costs around 500 bucks as ooposed to 300 for the nova extreme pro that has everything indavidual reflectors etc.
Is their other lights I should be looking into ? I can not afford 500 dollars for a 48 inch 75 gal 20 inch deep tank. i want to be able to have anything I wannt in the tank but I just cant afford 500 plus dollars for lights any help would be appreciated.
First off, what is "stock lighting"? If it's the freshwater hood/light that comes with some tanks, that certainly won't do the job for what you have, it'll slowly die.
As for the money, $500 on lighting for that size tank isn't a lot, but the Extreme Pro is certainly better than some routes you could go, especially since the pro model has individual reflectors. That said, it's certainly not the best, and you could definitely do better if you were willing to spend more.

hammerhed7

I have the 36" pro on my 46 reef, and I really like it. It does not have true individual reflectors, just one reflector bent to wrap around the bulbs. For the money I am very happy with it.

perfectdark

I love nova's for the money they are hard to beat. Remember with the TEK's although IMO they are far superior to the Nova's they are more expensive as said, and they dont come with bulbs either.

The novas have the bulbs included and yes you will be able to keep most anything you want with the nova's too.

fats71

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2543574
I love nova's for the money they are hard to beat. Remember with the TEK's although IMO they are far superior to the Nova's they are more expensive as said, and they dont come with bulbs either.

The novas have the bulbs included and yes you will be able to keep most anything you want with the nova's too.
I agree it will save me about 300 bucks going with the extreme pro. The tek lighting can't be a extra 300 bucks better IMO but if they are sommeone tell me how.
The torch will work fine with stock lighting it just wont grow fast. Their are certain corals that will work with stock lighting just not be the best. I will however not be using thhe stock lighting for long as I plann on my lights by next week.

reefraff

If you change out the current lamps you could keep most things PROPERLY PLACED in the tank with a Nova Pro. .

fats71

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/2544053
If you change out the current lamps you could keep most things PROPERLY PLACED in the tank with a Nova Pro. .
Thats part of the beauty of the lamps though. the cost.
I know somme people who use the pro well acctually I know a person who uses a pro extreme and keeps everything in her tank and it is all healthy. it does not grow as fast and I would assume not as vibrant as with indavidual reflectors but hers do very well with no loss.
I am new at this so I am tryign to find out the hows and whys. what kind of bulbs should I change it too and if I do that then why would'nt I just spend the 2600 for solaris lights.. Oh ya I can;t afford them. I need something in my price range that is eye pleasing as the design is on the nova. I dont want a hang on light they look tacky to me just my opinion but tell me wwwhy I need something different ?

wattsupdoc

The bulbs that come with the nova are not as good as the higher quality ones. ATI, Geisseman, UVL are the top manufacturers. No others compare. The thing is with the T5's if everything isn't just right, you don't have what it could be. You can run with the bulbs that come with it, but don't expect to have great results'; The bulbs your getting will start burning out in 6-8mos. That's burning out, they'll loose their punch sooner. So be prepared to buy new as soon as you can. When you do, get from one of the top mentioned makers, ONLY! You will be amazed at the difference. Trust me, I've been there.

fats71

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/2544348
The bulbs that come with the nova are not as good as the higher quality ones. ATI, Geisseman, UVL are the top manufacturers. No others compare. The thing is with the T5's if everything isn't just right, you don't have what it could be. You can run with the bulbs that come with it, but don't expect to have great results'; The bulbs your getting will start burning out in 6-8mos. That's burning out, they'll loose their punch sooner. So be prepared to buy new as soon as you can. When you do, get from one of the top mentioned makers, ONLY! You will be amazed at the difference. Trust me, I've been there.
Well if that is the case then what should I buy for lighting.
The nova looks great built in fans splash guard legs dont cost more etcc. Seriously I want to be able to place anything I want in the tank without worries but im not rich. i can't afford to put 1k into lights then buy the bulbs. I want the best bang for the buck. I need 48 inch lights with everything for under 400 bucks or my wife is going to shut it DOWN !!! If someone can show me better lights MH whatever it is for under that price range with everything included and not having to build a canopy etc I am all ears...

tangwhispr

http:///forum/post/2543904
I agree it will save me about 300 bucks going with the extreme pro. The tek lighting can't be a extra 300 bucks better IMO but if they are sommeone tell me how.
The torch will work fine with stock lighting it just wont grow fast. Their are certain corals that will work with stock lighting just not be the best. I will however not be using thhe stock lighting for long as I plann on my lights by next week.
The stock lighting is not enough, it will not grow, it will die...no question about it...as for the lights don't make the mistake of going cheap and end up unhappy, i went from PC's to VHO, to 175w mh to 250w mh...I would have saved a lot of money if i would have just bought the proper light in the begining.

m0nk

http:///forum/post/2544393
Well if that is the case then what should I buy for lighting.
The nova looks great built in fans splash guard legs dont cost more etcc. Seriously I want to be able to place anything I want in the tank without worries but im not rich. i can't afford to put 1k into lights then buy the bulbs. I want the best bang for the buck. I need 48 inch lights with everything for under 400 bucks or my wife is going to shut it DOWN !!! If someone can show me better lights MH whatever it is for under that price range with everything included and not having to build a canopy etc I am all ears...
Check out the Oddyssea 48" MH fixture. It's cheap, only $359, and has 2x250W HQI MH, 4x65W PC. It'll definitely let you keep anything under it, but you'll likely eventually want to swap out the MH ballasts somewhere down the line. There are mixed reviews, but most people admit it's a decent start and really works well after the ballasts are replaced.

fats71

Originally Posted by m0nk
http:///forum/post/2544732
Check out the Oddyssea 48" MH fixture. It's cheap, only $359, and has 2x250W HQI MH, 4x65W PC. It'll definitely let you keep anything under it, but you'll likely eventually want to swap out the MH ballasts somewhere down the line. There are mixed reviews, but most people admit it's a decent start and really works well after the ballasts are replaced.
Is it going to have the lunar lights etc ? I am looking for thhe ful package to be honest. The MH will eat up electricity unless you buy high dollars ones i have been reading with LEDS or am I wrong ?
I want to be able to see the colors vividly and also run the night time light lunar or whatever it is calledd.

m0nk

http:///forum/post/2544752
Is it going to have the lunar lights etc ? I am looking for thhe ful package to be honest. The MH will eat up electricity unless you buy high dollars ones i have been reading with LEDS or am I wrong ?
I want to be able to see the colors vividly and also run the night time light lunar or whatever it is calledd.
Yup, 6xBluemoon LED lunar lights, forgot to note that. This is one of the all in one fixtures, just do a google search, there's only one site that sells them.

fats71

Originally Posted by m0nk
http:///forum/post/2544828
Yup, 6xBluemoon LED lunar lights, forgot to note that. This is one of the all in one fixtures, just do a google search, there's only one site that sells them.
I can not find it anywhere. I google it and get nothing but reviews from different forums. Most of them say they burn out fast melt etc.
Dp upi have these and how do they work for you ?

m0nk

http:///forum/post/2544833
I can not find it anywhere. I google it and get nothing but reviews from different forums. Most of them say they burn out fast melt etc.
Dp upi have these and how do they work for you ?
Google this exactly:
48" 760W Metal Halide System
The first link that comes back is the place to purchase it.

perfectdark

I was actually thinking about getting these for my 36gal bowfront. The 30" set, my issue is heat, but from what I have been hearing using the mounting brackets on an open top tank, there may be the need for a fan to blow across the top of the tank but thats all. Same price as the nova sundials too...

fats71

oK FOUND IT THX.
I have some issues though as i HAVE READ THE BULBS NEED TO BE CHANGED THE BALLISTS NEED TO BE CHANGED ETC WHY BUY THEM IF THE FIRST THING YOU NEED TO DO IS CHANGE EVERYTHING ? Sorry about caps was watching tv and typing. Are thhey going to be able to doo the job ? I wanna be able to have sps lps everything in the tank will these work if so your my hero.

fats71

Is the balist issue and bulb issue with older models as I have read elswhere the 2008's are somewhat different is this true any experiance ? I think these will be the lights I purchase if I can get some asurance as to them not needing everything replaced and being a good light.

mosalt

I saw the Odyssea lights on ----(4 letters...online site) as a "buy it now", but don't know if they're any good. Definitely cheaper priced.