Nova Extreme- what kind of corals can this support

1990jpyj

Nova Extreme light system (216 watts - and 4 flou/actinic bulbs with built-in fan, 2 separate light controls and separate fan control.
i found this light for $140.00(with a few new bulbs) and i plan on using this on my 75g. and i was wondering what type of corals this can support, if any.
thanks

05xrunner

if its the old one with single reflector then you can have anything but SPS, and clams
if its the new one with the individual reflectors then you can keep pretty much anything with some better bulbs

renogaw

wouldnt the four bulb be a little light (no pun...) for sps even with the individual reflectors?

05xrunner

not with some good ATI and Giesemann bulbs..might not be able to keep at the bottom but midway up to the top would be just fine

wangotango

Even with four good bulbs under a single reflector that still isn't a lot of light. Softies would be fine anywhere, and LPS towards the top IMO.
If you had 6-individually reflected then that's a different story.
-Justin

subielover

Originally Posted by WangoTango
http:///forum/post/2872403
Even with four good bulbs under a single reflector that still isn't a lot of light. Softies would be fine anywhere, and LPS towards the top IMO.
If you had 6-individually reflected then that's a different story.
-Justin
I agree.

05xrunner

I disagree..with the new Nova Extreme lights that have the individual reflectors. With some good par bulbs like the BluePlus bulbs it would sustain SPS no problem from mid to higher in the tank.

wangotango

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
http:///forum/post/2872610
I disagree..with the new Nova Extreme lights that have the individual reflectors. With some good par bulbs like the BluePlus bulbs it would sustain SPS no problem from mid to higher in the tank.
The Nova PRO yes, but the OP was talking about the old Extreme with a single reflector. BIG difference.
-Justin

05xrunner

but thats what i said in my first post..If its the new one with the individual reflectors and better bulbs it would keep anything

05xrunner

if you want a good fixture low cost
look up hello Lights
They have a fixture that is identical to the TEK fixture
the 24" 4bulb is $100 with bulbs
the 48" 4bulb with buls is $129
the 48" 8bulb is $179
they are discontinued so they are selling cheap..I bought the 24" and should be here on tues. I would say they are a good bit better then those Nova fixtures and alot less

mboswell1982

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
http:///forum/post/2872795
if you want a good fixture low cost
look up hello Lights
They have a fixture that is identical to the TEK fixture
the 24" 4bulb is $100 with bulbs
the 48" 4bulb with buls is $129
the 48" 8bulb is $179
they are discontinued so they are selling cheap..I bought the 24" and should be here on tues. I would say they are a good bit better then those Nova fixtures and alot less
holy crap, i wish i had the money to spend, id buy some of those LOL

1990jpyj

ok now i have a question on these lights, the hellos:
they have an 8 bulb configuration and a 4 bulb
which is better?
i am looking for softies, zoa's, mushrooms, easy to take care of corals. nothing difficult.
i love the price on either model. it will be a nice jump if i go from the peice of junk i got now(peice of junk flouresent, my nova pro extream burned up-guess thats what i get for buying used) so this would be kinda nice. i dont really like the size of the 8 bulb though
also do i have to hang these or can i get mounting legs? i would like mounting legs and not hanging(i just dont like that idea of hanging a light over my tank, nor do i like canopys)
thanks

mboswell1982

chris, it should come with some mounting legs, or, you can call em an place your order instead of doin it online so you can ask em some questions, thats what i prefer to do when i order anything online, i call the folks rather than go through the check out business lol

1990jpyj

that was gonna be my next step if nobody really answered my question. i am sure that someone here has this light or this brand and could help out some more. i will probly call in the morning though. i think im gonna have to get eh 4 bulb due to space configuring. my tank is only 12" wide so i would have lights sticking out 6" past that. i dotn know what good that would do me. + i can save $50.00 unless someone tels me different

mboswell1982

dude, go with em, its a hella deal in my mind, if me an jess had the money to spend, you can bet your butt id be on the phone with em in the morning ordering lights from em lol

1990jpyj

if its a hanging fixture i dont really want to try and make that work. i dont have space for it nor do i have a stable place to get it to hang from. so hopfully they have legs for it that either come with it or i can buy cz that is one heck of a good deal

mboswell1982

u got that right brother, u got that right, ugh, someone seriously needs to take this deal im offering on this friggin fluval i got LOL i dont want it, an i wanna get rid of it