Now im starting.

jared_p

Ok someone i know had a freshwater 55 gallon tank fully set up. I was planning on buying myself one but he said i could have it. So I went and picked it up today along with a ton of goodies i took the fish but gave them to a friend who has a freshwater tank since I want to make it a SW tank. So right now I have a tank stand and everything els you would need for a freshwater tank but i dont think anything for a SW tank. I also have a empty 10gallon tank. So what should my first purchase from here be? I'm thinking I want a coral tank but not much.
thanks for any advice.

aztec reef

start with :chucking the undergravel filters and substrate..Then buy
substrate (aragonite)
liverock 1-2lbs per gallon of water.
ro/di unit
Start Nitrogen cycle
Read, read,read...

robertmathern

Dude you are going to hear alot on this. But take it slow do your homework or you will spend alot of unneeded money. I would start on filtration Live rock should be your main choice. But look into a skimmer and a sump first. Get the live rock and sand once you have everything you need to set up the tank. Live rock will begin you cycle. for the sump look them up on google or on this site MR X on here has alot of good advice. He can help you alot along the way. Decide on what you want also I would still use a hang on back filter wether it be in your sump or in you display tank. Just make sure to have some carbon filtration. From there just ask There is alot of good advice on this site.

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by jared_p
http:///forum/post/2773042
Ok someone i know had a freshwater 55 gallon tank fully set up. I was planning on buying myself one but he said i could have it. So I went and picked it up today along with a ton of goodies i took the fish but gave them to a friend who has a freshwater tank since I want to make it a SW tank. So right now I have a tank stand and everything els you would need for a freshwater tank but i dont think anything for a SW tank. I also have a empty 10gallon tank. So what should my first purchase from here be? I'm thinking I want a coral tank but not much
thanks for any advice.
You say that now but you won't later!!!

robertmathern

Got to agree with JerryAtrick. I dont even have water in my tank yet and I am waiting for the day I get corals. I am just like you got a 55 gal once used for salt water one thing I did forget to mention clean the tank very well you never know what was put in it. Copper big no no.But it takes patience. Got to get your accys down first. Then reep the rewards. It will be worth it.

jared_p

well I have spent the last year and a half reading up on Salt Water tanks. So iv gotten a good idea of what im getting myself into I know to do alot of cycling and take my time and be carefull. I plained on buying about 15lbs of live sand and the rest just be sand I figure that would be enough live sand. I'm not sure on the amount of live rock im guessing about 55lbs? I am not sure at all on doing a SUMP i had plained on just haveing a hang on filter along with a hang on skimmer. I have very little knowledge on making sumps but any advice to making my 10gal a sump would be apriciated. IE. what i might need to do so?

robertmathern

I will find something for you. They are better you can put all your filters in it and not have an eyesore in you 55. 10Gal dont leave much room for a furm in your sump to grow micro bactereia put you should be ok. And you might want to go with some more live rock or some base rock. It will become live with alge and inverts. Good luck

jared_p

how would I go about useing the sump without an overflow? cause it would be nice to have one even if it was just to wear my filter and skimmer was down under the tank like you mentioned it wont be such an eyesore.

robertmathern

you will need an overflow Check ---- you can find then there for a resonible price. You will also need a return pump. They are not to bad there. just figure out how much flow you want. I have heard abut 10 to 15 times the amount of water in your tank an hour.

robertmathern

the pump is used to return the water to your tank. If not you could have water on your floor and that would suck. But check sleze bay for that to I found one that was 1500 gph for 50 and free shipping. He had alot more to sellto. I will send it to you in the morning. after midnight here and got to be to work at 7. Not easy to do with a 3 week old baby. good nite but remind me to send you the link. I am sure he has more.

aztec reef

Save some money and skip on the live sand.. all u need is some type of aragonite sand. The lr will make it live..

jared_p

I've spent the day thinking how to do a sump I want and I think iv decided to just get a CPR overflow to run to my 10gal tank with a skimmer heater and im not sure about having any bio balls or live rock or anything like that not sure if there would be much room in the 10 gal. Then have a return pump one im looking at now is a hydro SELTZ pump that is 320GPH the over flow is 300 GPH and then a hydro powerhead that is also 300GPH. Would this be a good set up i understand i might need an extra powerhead or more powerfull one for good water flow.

jared_p

There is the tank Id like to sand it down and paint it all black ill have to clean it all out not to sure what to use to clean it. Then start the journy.

jared_p

Believe me that will be the first step most likely tomorrow. then clean it good wensday then start working on a sump.

mch2o

Originally Posted by jared_p
http:///forum/post/2774815
Believe me that will be the first step most likely tomorrow. then clean it good wensday then start working on a sump.
glad to hear you are going with a sump man u wont regert it

jared_p

Ugh, its going to cost more for the darn sump lol oh well it will look better. So would I just have PVC pipe run from my sump connected to a return pump stright to the tank and thats it? Any ideas on weather to have live rock or bio balls or a hang on filter or what for the sump I mean I'll have a skimmer thats a no brainer but what els anything?
ALSO:
fish im thinking of.
2 clown fish.
1 small blue hippo tang
3 Blue Reef Chromis
1Dusky Dottyback
Thats what I'd like to put in the tank. I figure ill be bashed for trying to put any tang in a 55gal tank.

jared_p

::BUMP::
i was thinking today or maybe going ahead and starting as soon as possible on my tank by just getting a skimmer and let it cycle then before i get any fish or anything have the sump ready.