Now im starting.

maryg

Originally Posted by jared_p
http:///forum/post/2797103

plan on adding salt in the next hour or so. then i plan on buying some dry base rock and then buy live rubble and some decent live rock. then add the sand and ill be on my way there.

WAIT! Before you fill up. I would go ahead and paint the back black or dark blue. I wish I did my 55 before I set it up. I kick myself because now I have a cheesy blue background I had to tape on and it looks like crap. Also check your local craigslist or find a local reef club you might be able to pick up a sump real cheap.
I was just trying to help a brotha out.

jared_p

already filled it up and started adding salt about 30mins ago. just tested the water it looks to be perfect with the salt but it hasnt really disolved yet so ill have to try ehre in a little bit. I treated the water earlyer today is that fine that i added salt the same day i treated it?

mch2o

yes ,but your going to be kick yourself for using tap water man
. By the way he is right if yo got alot of friends in the reef tanks or saltwater tanks in genral you should be able to get a sump made for free if you help out and learn or get it like dirt cheap.
Hey don't get me wrong I love Aquaclears filter for fresh water but one them even for a 55 gallon fresh water wouldn't be enoungh. I have a 55 g up right now freshwater with africans cichlids in it and I run a Aquaclear 500 with 1 spung and screen on top with a lamp hitting it for a algae scruber filter it works great. I'll send you a pick. The 2nd is a Magnum 150.
Wait you know what that might be your cheap ticket man build you a scrubber filter. The thread for them is on the REEF TANk FORUMS you could make one out of a 5 gallon buck and it can keep you nitrate and ammonia free.
That is just what I think trying to help you out in your travels to your new hobby. Can't wait to see pic's when you have got you cycle started man.

jared_p

well i know noone in the saltwater or even aquarium hobby. and i know a sump would be nice and i plan on adding a sump someday most likely when ever i get a skimmer for it.
and why am i going to kick myself for useing tap water? i figured it would cost way to much to go and buy 55gallons of fresh water.

maryg

The chemicals that come in tap water are gonna cause some weirdness in your tank. Just wait. I know my local grocery store has a machine that gives 1 or 5 gallons of water that is R/O and D/I for 25 cents a gallon. Most LFS around here have mixed R/O saltwater for $1/gallon. You are going to have to do some major water changes after your cycle to correct it.
Sorry I was new a few months ago. You will live and learn through error.

jared_p

my local grovery does not have a machine like that, that im aware of ill have to go around and double check so i guess if i find one i can just use it from now on? wish i did use it if there is one since it would of been very cheap to do that. oh well i added the chemicals to the tank and salt aready so no going back now i guess.

jared_p

ok well im going to start some more fun here soon. My SG is at about 1.0023-24. so im going to be adding sand and ordering prob about 20lbs of dry rock and 15lbs of live fiji rock tonight so i figure that should give me a start the live sand and some live rock then as the weeks go by add hopefully another 15-20lbs of rock.
sound good?

oceansidefish

You honestly do not need a skimmer to start using a sump, you will get much better results if you do. I would get a 20l at least to use as a sump. Also you will need some powerheads to add flow or you will be back asking what the red algae in your tank is. I know how appealing everything is and everybody wants to rush. You will only have more problems in the long run. I bought a 60g used and I am now wishing I would have started from scratch. Saltwater tanks are money pits. I am just trying to save you grief.

jared_p

I have one powerhead at 300gph considering i wont have any coral i figure 300 would be enough. and i plain on building a sump just right now im useing the HOB filter and i figure with enough live rock and sand i should be fine. iv seen plenty of tanks ran on HOB filters or just a skimmer HOB but with alot of live rock and sand they have excellent results. either way i do plan on adding a sump in the future.