nudi eggs

twogirls

so we have a bit of a nudi issue. they have eggs on our glass. i've scraped many of them off, but now there are a whole bunch that are kind of purple that I can't get of very easily. what does it mean when they turn purple? and any suggestions on how to get them off?

renogaw

nuclear bomb...
i have a long, maybe 12" handle that attaches to my scrapper. can you get at it with something to scrape it off, plus like a turkey baster or some clear tubing to suck it out as they get scraped off?

twogirls

I've tried scraping them off with the scrubber and they really don't budge. I plan on trying my fingernail next.

twogirls

kind of, but they are just on the glass and when they turned purplish they kind of loose their curly-cue-ness.

gbellx

Originally Posted by twogirls
took some pics

those white curly things are harmless filter feeders...kinda like a mini-mini feather duster....the purple is coraline alge.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by gBellx
those white curly things are harmless filter feeders...kinda like a mini-mini feather duster....the purple is coraline alge.
yup!

its easiest to use a razor blade to scrape off coraline as long as your aquarium is glass not acrylic.

reefkprz

coraline develpment is a sign of a healthy tank. I let it grow pretty much werever it wants as long as its not on the front glass.

renogaw

Originally Posted by twogirls
how do you get rid of the coraline algae

hmm, did i call it or what :)
coralline is awesome development for your tank :)

twogirls

well, thank you guys. it is on the front of the tank so I'll see what I can do to get it off of there and let it go crazy elsewhere

renogaw

i can't find a link on this website, but i have a couple scrapers that look (somewhat) like the below crude drawing. there's a ~18" wand that attaches to the yellow handle. coulda probably taken a pic, but my camera is in the truck and it's cold out :) they get rid of corralline fast.