Nudibranch vs Apitasia

sailfin

Can someone tell me the name of the nudibranch that has a diet of strictly apitasia? I know there is one and I am looking to make a purchase, but cannot seem to find it anywhere.
:notsure:

ctgretzky9

Im sure others will chime in, but buying a creature to eliminate something like aptasia is only going to cause you more problems in the future.
Once the aptasia is gone (if they even eat it?) it will starve....i dont have any personal experience, but have read that they die easily this way, and that they foul up the tank something feirce.
Did you try joes juice or the kalk paste or even lemon juice to rid them?
What worked for me was a syringe (my wife is a pharmacist so i got a nice one! lol) and I hooked up some airline tubng, and squirted lemon juice right at them as close as I could get before it got scared and closed up.
Of course, I cant get all of them, but doing this every couple of months is no big deal to keep population under control. I dont think they are that bad a thing in the tank as long as you control the population. I have seen ine collect crap floating in the water, so to me, they provide some extra cleaning.

gfk

you could always take it out and return it to the lfs... doesnt look like they are that fast and hard to catch

sailfin

Originally Posted by ctgretzky9
Im sure others will chime in, but buying a creature to eliminate something like aptasia is only going to cause you more problems in the future.
Once the aptasia is gone (if they even eat it?) it will starve....i dont have any personal experience, but have read that they die easily this way, and that they foul up the tank something feirce.
Did you try joes juice or the kalk paste or even lemon juice to rid them?
What worked for me was a syringe (my wife is a pharmacist so i got a nice one! lol) and I hooked up some airline tubng, and squirted lemon juice right at them as close as I could get before it got scared and closed up.
Of course, I cant get all of them, but doing this every couple of months is no big deal to keep population under control. I dont think they are that bad a thing in the tank as long as you control the population. I have seen ine collect crap floating in the water, so to me, they provide some extra cleaning.
Actually doing what you are doing will cause more problems than good. When you use Joe's Juice or similar methods that does not completely kill the "weed". The "root" is still there ready to sprout up again either in the same place or somewhere else. Nature is the best method for eliminating the unwanted apitasia.

sailfin

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
How will you feed it once the aiptaisia is gone?

I would simply return it. Or, if I get it online, I'm sure a LFS locally would love to trade for one.

ctgretzky9

I had never heard that it was bad to remove them the way I do. LFS does it this way, and Ive seen literally dozens of posts regarding this subject that use the same methods.
I have never heard of bad results this way, yet i have seen dozens of posts saying the worst way is to buy a creature to solve a problem that cant be supported once the problem has been eliminated.
Frankly, id feel like an idiot buying something from lfs, then returning it after its use has worn out its welcome-and my lfs is awesome and me talk all the time and have become very friendly. I still wouldnt take advantage of him that way.
If your lfs is willing to do this, thats totally cool, but id feel bad about it if it were me.

stuckinfla

Originally Posted by sailfin
Actually doing what you are doing will cause more problems than good. When you use Joe's Juice or similar methods that does not completely kill the "weed". The "root" is still there ready to sprout up again either in the same place or somewhere else. Nature is the best method for eliminating the unwanted apitasia.

I dont think this is correct. The "kalk" paste (have used it) or joes juice (have not) actually is ingested by the anenome and "burt" from the inside. I does completly kill it.
I bought a rock with hundreds of Mojano's, and it worked like magic, have not seen another and its been over a year. Kalk is just a form of calcium that you would probably add to the tank anyway, so I cant see how this could cause more harm than good......this is the route I would take if I had to again.

sailfin

Originally Posted by ctgretzky9
I had never heard that it was bad to remove them the way I do. LFS does it this way, and Ive seen literally dozens of posts regarding this subject that use the same methods.
I have never heard of bad results this way, yet i have seen dozens of posts saying the worst way is to buy a creature to solve a problem that cant be supported once the problem has been eliminated.
Frankly, id feel like an idiot buying something from lfs, then returning it after its use has worn out its welcome-and my lfs is awesome and me talk all the time and have become very friendly. I still wouldnt take advantage of him that way.
If your lfs is willing to do this, thats totally cool, but id feel bad about it if it were me.
My LFS and I have already talked about this. I wouldn't get a full refund, just maybe a small credit. I didn't state that the method you are using is incorrect, but I have never heard of anyone that did use chemical solutions and not have the little pests return. This is all new to me as you can tell by me asking the name of the nudibranch.

sailfin

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
If anyone is interested in an Aiptasia predator in the form of a Bristleworm please e-mail me ;)
If you are serious I would be interested, Bang. Just let me know some details.

madison

If anyone is interested in an Aiptasia predator in the form of a Bristleworm please e-mail me ;)
Bang Guy...Am I reading this right? are you saying that if I am patient the bristleworms will eventually get up on top of the LR's?

bang guy

Originally Posted by Madison
Bang Guy...Am I reading this right? are you saying that if I am patient the bristleworms will eventually get up on top of the LR's?
Nope, that's not what I'm saying. There are over 10,000 different species of Bristleworms. I happen to have one that can eat Aiptasia.

sailfin

Originally Posted by EvilBob22
Why not try peppermint shrimp? You wouldn't have to return them.
They tend to spread the aptasia instead of completely eating it.