nuisance anemone?

boucherh

Hi All!
I am new to the board. My dad has had saltwater aquariums (the majority of which are reefs) for nearly 20 years. I on the other hand just set up my first reef (I have only had fish only tanks in the past). I am somewhat familiar with coral and inverts, but still have a lot to learn. Anyways.. My question is this: I went to a local fish store and noticed a large cluster of really neat anemones in one of the tanks. I had not seen anything like it before. I cannot find a picture online that resembles it so I will try to describe... Small, about the size of a 50 cent piece. Round, with about 1/2 inch tentacles that are cream in color. The tips of the tentacles were shades of green and pink. I thought they were very cool.. When I asked what they were, the owner told me "Ugh, they are a "nuisance anemone". We had one come in on a piece of rock and they started popping up all over the tank". She considered them as big a nuisance as Aiptasias. She told me she thought they were leather anemones. However, when I got home and looked up leather anemones they totally didn't match the description of what the pet store had. Everything I read about the leathers said they were difficult to keep, very delicate, etc. I also could not find any that looked even remotely similar. Has anyone else heard of something like what I described above? I would love to go get some of them (she was going to inject them and kill them!!!) but I don't want to introduce something into my tank that will overtake it. Thanks, Haley

bigarn

Do a search for Mojano anemone just for the sake of elimination or not on the ID.
You should post this in the Hitch hiker and ID forum ... you'll get more replies there.
Oh yeah .... Welcome to the boards Haley!

boucherh

The 3rd and 4th pictures look very similar. They are very similar in size and shape. The ones I saw had a some pink in the tips of the tentacles. What can you tell me about these guys? Are they "bad" anemones? Thanks again!

spanko

Bad in the fact that if you want to have a reef tank they will over run your coral. They will sting and kill your coral. They multiply quickly and have a very potent sting. Sometimes in nature the most beautiful things are the most dangerous. This is a beautiful but dangerous, in terms of proliferation, anemone and one you would do well to keep out of your tank.