Numismatics in the house?

reefforbrains

Just curious what the numbers are.
Been digging a deep hole lately. No one local to me is active in the hobby so I often lose sight of how fast or slow I am attacking it. It can sometimes add a real shock when you start to tally your expenses for a given year.
How much is too much for one person to collect?
I am terrified about what the peanut gallery is going to chime in about.....

jennythebugg

i had an ex a while back that left a shoebox that had european money from ww2 in it so i sent it to my dad cause he collects. some moneies esp. the old coins can be quite purty

reefereric

Originally Posted by jennythebugg
http:///forum/post/2878180
maxalmon once talked about some treasure coins he had gotten
I need to point out how great it is to have Jenny around to remember all these pointless chats that happened back in the day. Now see? She brough up a wonderful tidbit that someone may be able to use! Thanks Jenny! It pays to have someone watching all the time! HAHA!

acrylics

I've been collecting for about 30 years, started with my Grandfather's and Dad's collections. Last 10 years or so have been gold & silver. Pricing over the last year or two have given slight pause but not too much. IMO, as long as it's discretionary money, are still able to save money for the future, debts in control (preferably paid down) and not going into debt to buy them, it's all good. Buy as much as you fancy without hurting yourself by doing so.
FWIW, never, and I mean NEVER tally up the costs. It's about enjoyment of the hobby and perhaps a potential investment for down the road so rewards are incalculable. I tallied up costs once for such things, I won't do it again

stdreb27

Originally Posted by acrylics
http:///forum/post/2879290
FWIW, never, and I mean NEVER tally up the costs. It's about enjoyment of the hobby and perhaps a potential investment for down the road so rewards are incalculable. I tallied up costs once for such things, I won't do it again

Kind of like with aquariums...

I kept track of this tank because I was on a budget. But I quickly realised if I continued keeping a complete tally of the cost of my tank and my wife found it. I'd never get another tank...

ophiura

I would think a nice thing about coins is that they don't quite lose value the same way other hobbies might. So you could in theory cash them out fairly reliably versus the fact that no one in their right mind would pay much for a 5 year old skimmer or something.
So out of many hobbies to be in, coin collecting is not as much of a risk maybe (depending on the status in particular of gold, silver, platinum, etc market). I've been buying some silver dollars for gifts for some kids recently (ok for their parents to hold onto). Some day they will likely be able to sell them and buy something they may appreciate more than whatever plastic toy I can buy them now. So sure it should be "extra" money that you put into it, like any hobby, but it is probably a pretty good one all in all in my opinion.
But then I am not a collector and only tend to think in terms of silver or gold coins...for the value of the metal if nothing else.

spiderwoman

In Finland numismatics include stamp and postmark collectors and my brother was the president for the national club years ago.
He has been collecting stamps and postmarks, mainly from the First World War since he was a teenager, which would make it about 40yrs. His collection is quite extensive and he has focused only on Finnish postmarks.