NY to Texas

oozy

ok, so i may be moving from rochester ny to dallas TX in the next two months. My set up (just started...) is 10g, 27lbs LR 2scarlet hermits. and 2 snails. I know its no emergency or overwhelming project, but i will need to move them in the best way with minimal die off.
The set up is temperary waiting for the stand for my 20G tank.
no fish and no coral...
any suggestions?
anyone know how long of a trip it will be?
thanks

cveach

The only thing worth keeping is the LR just put it in a bucket if its longer then 48hrs some die off may occur but it happens. Its not worth moving the 10gal setup... cost to much in time and money. Just my opinion.

krazzydart

how are you going????? plane, train, or car????? if it that small a setup I would just sell it...."Perps"shouldgive you at least $100 for it all......

kimmisue

Hey
if your driving take 5 gallons of water out
put it in a bucket.
Add your LR in with it.
keep the corals in the tank with the other 5 gallons
Move the tank
How long is the drive....remember that corals will be ok with natural sun for a day maybe two....
maybe get one of those battery operated airation things just to keep the water moving..(if you have sponges forget that)
my .02
Kim

oozy

i would be driving. Ill just throw the LR in the 5g bucket and hope for the best...
thanks!

kingbrd1

Unfortunately being in the Navy, that is what I do every couple of years. I started a fo tank in WA, had it for about a year and then was told I was headed to AZ. Donated my fish to a lfs I trusted and they said they would 'adopt' them out. Now here iin AZ I found a great lfs that will keep my fish until I get to my destination and will overnight them to me wehn I have my tank ready. Still several years away but I'm making my plans. Had a friend that moved from WA to NY and built himself a little converter for the car and kept his fish in a styrofoam cooler with an airstone setup and pump I think. The fish made it all the way across (3-5 days I think) but were so stressed out they died when he setup his tank.
King

johnnysalt

Oozy,
I'm in fort worth and I know a company that resells uncured live rock for only $3.50/lb (incl tax & box chrg) to people in dfw...they HAND deliver it at that price to your DOOR that is! :) They're right by the airport so that's why it's so cheap. I didn't believe the quality either until I saw some pics from a customer (that I met on this board)....email me for pics! (johntori@home.com) The minimum order at that price is 45 lbs, but we can split an order though! Check it out, you would only pay like $75 for 22 lbs of lr.
Sell your rock to someone up there and then buy some excellent rock down here! Let me know Oozy! ~John :cool: