O MY GOD!HE MIGHT KILL KENNY!!!help!

cartman101

this morning i just witness my eel getting stung by my v.lionfish!My eel came up to him and then my lion poked his spines at him and then...BAM!My eel then swam ver fast around the tank shaking his head.But now my eel is relaxing.Is there a chance he didn't get the venom into his body?
And no, my eels is not named kenny.

moraym

Don't panic, the eel sounds like he is doing fine. Generally, when the lions sting an eel he'll get a noticeable inflammation or other signs of irritation. Observe the eel's body, look for any unnatural swelling, signs of infection, etc.
I don't think your eel is going to die, my dwarf lions (albeit less potent than the v. you have) never even phased my lion to be honest, and he ran into them what seems like weekly.:rolleyes:
Just keep an eye on the eel, but if he's acting pretty normal right now, you're out of the woods.

fmarini

the other main thing you have to keep an eye on besides the venom is a bacterial infection. If you eel has calmed down and nbot breathing heavy, then ensure the water quality is good and the eel is eating again. Just keep a watchful eye for any redness, swelling, or cloudiness.
Also I'm not sure how much difference there is in potency w/ the scorpionfish. Meaning i believe the venom is the same material between fish, just larger fish can inject a larger dose, and of course w/ all venoms, the dose is what makes the venoms lethal.
I've been zapped by both a Volitans and a Fuzzy and they both hurt a lot, a real lot. I can sympathize w/ your eel
frank

cartman101

Ok thanks.I made a promise to my self,if my lion stings a fish then its back to the pet store and then i would get a dwarf lion.
I realy like my v lion and i dont want to get rid of him.
My eel is just relaxing right now.

moraym

No need to take back the v. lion, a dwarf lion can still inflict damage. As FMarini said, when talking about venom in the animal kingdom and marine as well, dosage is a huge factor. A dwarf can still inflict damage if the dosage is high enough. Luckily I haven't heard of many lions inflicting high enough dosage to kill an eel, v. lion or dwarf lion. You're safe with your lion i think.

chandler04

:yes: The sting isnt meant to kill. It is meant to be like, stay away from me, or youll be hurting. Bees are kinda poisonous, ya know. They have posion to some degree, wether u think so or not. Wen they sting you, it hurts, but u wont die.:thinking:

cartman101

GREAT!:joy: ..................But now my mom wants me to get a "not so venomous lionfish"!!!!!:eek: !!!Well to bad for her.

badkharma

Originally posted by Chandler04
:yes: The sting isnt meant to kill. It is meant to be like, stay away from me, or youll be hurting. Bees are kinda poisonous, ya know. They have posion to some degree, wether u think so or not. Wen they sting you, it hurts, but u wont die.:thinking:

Unless you have a severe allergic reaction to them... (I don't, but I know others that do - heck I even knew a girl in college that kept a small needle and a vile of anti-venom for if she got stung. Apparently, she'll go into cardiac arrest if she ever gets stung by a bee, so she has to stab herself with the needle within a few minutes of being stung)! :eek:

fishy411

so lets say i get stung by a 7" lion or 4" rogue scorpion(what im planning on getting.) what do i do next? shud i go to the docter or will it be just fine if i soak it in water

yellowtail

from what ive heard you will just be in alot of pain and soak in water.it'll hurt for a few days.
dan, if you get a lion make your you keep a top on it.(those curious brothers of yours):rolleyes:

dskidmore

On the allergic reaction front, if you start swelling anywhere other than the site of the sting, you should get help immediately. The major cause of death in extreme allergic reactions is the airways swelling and restricting breathing.