obama speach

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If I were the president meeting with anyone, let alone another politician, and then the encounter was portrayed in what I felt was an unfair way in some book, I might be inclined to say that meeting with you, governor, lends itself to unpredictable consequences.
The fact that she is obviously gleeful over the encounter, and I give that interpretation based on the interview vids I've seen today, makes me seriously question her intentions in greeting Obama with an invitation to tour Arizona's southern boarder. The whole thing just smacks of something less then innocent. Something like let me get the best of this guy on tape.
But, just my view.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/390117/obama-speach/40#post_3453381
If I were the president meeting with anyone, let alone another politician, and then the encounter was portrayed in what I felt was an unfair way in some book, I might be inclined to say that meeting with you, governor, lends itself to unpredictable consequences.
The fact that she is obviously gleeful over the encounter, and I give that interpretation based on the interview vids I've seen today, makes me seriously question her intentions in greeting Obama with an invitation to tour Arizona's southern boarder. The whole thing just smacks of something less then innocent. Something like let me get the best of this guy on tape.
But, just my view.
lol, it IS politics.

darthtang aw

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=ms-android-verizon&gl=us&biw=569&bih=255&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=finger+pointing+at+politicians&oq=finger+pointing+at+politicians&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=80422l85325l0l86444l15l14l0l0l0l0l586l2030l3-4.0.1l5l0&mvs=0#i=23
copy and paste it.
the fact that this is even being debated about by anyone just shows how low we have fallen to criticize even the ridiculous and trivial. people cant argue anymore? people cant vehemently disagree.....people cant be people......i am curious what was truly said by both sides that resulted in these action instead of the action itself....
darth (snookie for governor) Tang

deejeff442

maybe obama called her a name she didnt like? that would explain it.he did seem to be leaning into her.who knows?

reefraff

Zactly and if you look you can see 0bama's head bobbing as he's talking to her. That doesn't happen in a casual conversation.

darthtang aw

it was a picture of obama pointing at someone with an angry look on his face.
darth (a picture says a thousand words, which is 999 too many sometimes) Tang

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscardeuce http:///t/390117/obama-speach#post_3453055
When you have the media backing you up with "facts" the sheeple will follow....
When you have 47% paying no federal income and the bottom 50% pay only 3% the sheeple will follow....
When foodstamps are at an all time high the sheeple will follow....
When you can sit at home, drink beer, watch reality TV and have relations with everyone you want while a few work the sheeple wil follow...
When you have no responsibility, or consequence the sheeple will follow..........
We have become exactly what the Founding Fathers feared most...... dependant not INDEPENDANT!
You just described the Tea Party. Congratulations.

darthtang aw

You just described the Tea Party.  Congratulations.

proving once again you have no idea what you are talking about.
darth (teabagger) Tang

stdreb27

It is too bad it is something pansy like Tea, to bad they didn't dump bourbon in the harbor or something...

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/390117/obama-speach/40#post_3453609
proving once again you have no idea what you are talking about.
darth (teabagger) Tang
I know what I'm talking about. You and Oscar simply "bleat" the same talking points you hear from every biased right-wing news source. No originality comes from the Tea Party. They've made the same accusations for the last two years, and none of those claims have come to fruition. Oscar still has this myopic view on how our current tax system works, and I suppose believes that those innocuous 47% who don't pay taxes should just ignore the standard deductions they receive when filing their income tax forms and pay their "fair share". I disagree with our current tax codes, but there have been a multitude of failed attempts in Washington to get them modified, even when Republicans had control over everything. Unless you do that, you're placing balme on the wrong individual.
Bionic (Darth has real cold hands) Arm

darthtang aw

I know what I'm talking about.  You and Oscar simply "bleat" the same talking points you hear from every biased right-wing news source.  No originality comes from the Tea Party.  They've made the same accusations for the last two years, and none of those claims have come to fruition.  Oscar still has this myopic view on how our current tax system works, and I suppose believes that those innocuous 47% who don't pay taxes should just ignore the standard deductions they receive when filing their income tax forms and pay their "fair share".  I disagree with our current tax codes, but there have been a multitude of failed attempts in Washington to get them modified, even when Republicans had control over everything.  Unless you do that, you're placing balme on the wrong individual.
Bionic (Darth has real cold hands) Arm
deductions? what deductions? recieve back more than you paid in is not a deduction.....that is transfer of wealth.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/390117/obama-speach/40#post_3453998
deductions? what deductions? recieve back more than you paid in is not a deduction.....that is transfer of wealth.
Darth, it's our archaic tax code. Everyone who files a tax return gets a standard deduction based on their marital status and how many dependents they have. There is a set minimum deduction regardless of the income you make. It's not as skewed as you make it out to be. My daughter worked full-time last year during the summer, and made around $7,000 in income. She filed single and took whatever the standard deduction was, filing a 1040EZ. I think she paid somewhere around $600 - $700 in taxes. She went click, click, click on TurboTax's online filing system, and got a refund of a whopping $35 or something like that. Is that your definition of "transfer of wealth"? Should she have become your model Conservative citizen and foregone filing her taxes, telling the IRS "No you keep my $700. I want pay my part to keep this country running." Meanwhile, Mitt Romney is stashing millions of his earnings in bank accounts in Switzerland and the Caymans, and ends up paying an effective tax rate of around 15%. You're ideology is, "Good for him. He stilled payed millions in taxes. That's his fair share." So why is it OK that someone makiing under $50K should dole out every dollar that was deducted from their paycheck to pay their "fair share", simply because they don't have the luxury of hiding their earned income in offshore bank accounts, charitable contributions, or flawed capital loss credits? My wife and I make well over 6-figures per year, but after taking the standard deductions, my effectibe tax rate is 15% - 17% every year. Last year, I got a refund of over $4,800. Is that my fair share, or should I pay more and return my refund?

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/390117/obama-speach/40#post_3454482
Darth, it's our archaic tax code. Everyone who files a tax return gets a standard deduction based on their marital status and how many dependents they have. There is a set minimum deduction regardless of the income you make. It's not as skewed as you make it out to be. My daughter worked full-time last year during the summer, and made around $7,000 in income. She filed single and took whatever the standard deduction was, filing a 1040EZ. I think she paid somewhere around $600 - $700 in taxes. She went click, click, click on TurboTax's online filing system, and got a refund of a whopping $35 or something like that. Is that your definition of "transfer of wealth"? Should she have become your model Conservative citizen and foregone filing her taxes, telling the IRS "No you keep my $700. I want pay my part to keep this country running." Meanwhile, Mitt Romney is stashing millions of his earnings in bank accounts in Switzerland and the Caymans, and ends up paying an effective tax rate of around 15%. You're ideology is, "Good for him. He stilled payed millions in taxes. That's his fair share." So why is it OK that someone makiing under $50K should dole out every dollar that was deducted from their paycheck to pay their "fair share", simply because they don't have the luxury of hiding their earned income in offshore bank accounts, charitable contributions, or flawed capital loss credits? My wife and I make well over 6-figures per year, but after taking the standard deductions, my effectibe tax rate is 15% - 17% every year. Last year, I got a refund of over $4,800. Is that my fair share, or should I pay more and return my refund?
You really shouldn't spread lies. Romney paid taxes on his overseas accounts. As far as his tax rate look at it this way. At some point he earned the money he invests and paid taxes on it. Then he places his after tax earnings at risk. If he loses money the government allows him to deduct up to 3,000 a year off his income. Assuming he had income in the 35% tax bracket it would save him 1050.00 in taxes on a loss that can run into 6 figures easily. If he guesses right and makes money he gives the government 15% of his gain if he held the investment over a year. Short term capital gains are taxed at normal income tax rates. I'd say it's pretty darn generous of people to give up 15% of their investment income considering to government has no skin in the game.
I assume your daughter can be claimed as a deduction on your return? In that case she can't take earned income credit which is one of the refundable credits. People can end up owing no federal income tax plus get a refund of over 5600.00 through earned income credits, 3K from child credits.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/390117/obama-speach/40#post_3454508
You really shouldn't spread lies. Romney paid taxes on his overseas accounts. As far as his tax rate look at it this way. At some point he earned the money he invests and paid taxes on it. Then he places his after tax earnings at risk. If he loses money the government allows him to deduct up to 3,000 a year off his income. Assuming he had income in the 35% tax bracket it would save him 1050.00 in taxes on a loss that can run into 6 figures easily. If he guesses right and makes money he gives the government 15% of his gain if he held the investment over a year. Short term capital gains are taxed at normal income tax rates. I'd say it's pretty darn generous of people to give up 15% of their investment income considering to government has no skin in the game.
I assume your daughter can be claimed as a deduction on your return? In that case she can't take earned income credit which is one of the refundable credits. People can end up owing no federal income tax plus get a refund of over 5600.00 through earned income credits, 3K from child credits.
http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/Romney-taxes-Gingrich-Republican/2012/01/30/id/426005
You apparently aren't familiar with the history of Cayman bank accounts, and how they are used to "hide" assets from prying eyes. Sure he has to pay his afforded taxes on the money he has in those accounts, however the operative words are "the accounts and money the IRS knows about". Grand Cayman is a little dot in the Caribbean (around 76 square miles), yet has over 278 banks (as of 2008). Of course Mitt just brushes it off as saying, "the purpose of setting up those accounts in the Cayman Islands is to help attract money from foreign investors." However, per this article - "
Tax experts agree that Romney remains subject to American taxes. But they say the offshore accounts have provided him -- and Bain -- with other potential financial benefits, such as higher management fees and greater foreign interest, all at the expense of the U.S. Treasury. Rebecca J. Wilkins, a tax policy expert with Citizens for Tax Justice, said the federal government loses an estimated $100 billion a year because of tax havens."
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/romney-parks-millions-offshore-tax-haven/story?id=15378566
I like how he gets to write off over $4 million in charitable contribution to his "Church" (see the bottom of this article).
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/story/2012-01-24/mitt-romney-tax-return/52780230/1

stdreb27

lol, wait, we are talking about Romney sticking some money in a bank. Legally... Paying taxes on it legally. But we don't get worked up, or for that matter send politicians to jail for cheating on taxes... Heck, when we hear so and so didn't report 100k in taxes or tries to write off donating a bra at 200 bucks or something, it goes in out ear and out the other...

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdreb27 http:///t/390117/obama-speach/40#post_3454648
lol, wait, we are talking about Romney sticking some money in a bank. Legally... Paying taxes on it legally. But we don't get worked up, or for that matter send politicians to jail for cheating on taxes... Heck, when we hear so and so didn't report 100k in taxes or tries to write off donating a bra at 200 bucks or something, it goes in out ear and out the other...
The legal banks aren't the issue. It's the one's the IRS doesn't know about is the issue. When you have that much money, there's a multitude of options to manipulate your reported income to Uncle Sam, than the poor suckers that Oscar keeps whining about that don't pay their "fair share". What's the difference between this guy Reef says pays no taxes and gets a $5K+ refund, and someone like Romney tucking away money in an offshore account, or getting the tax shelters described in the articles I posted, and not paying the taxes they should pay? One doesn't pay $8K - $10K in taxes, the other guy doesn't pay $1 MILLION - $2 MILLION in taxes. For every 10,000 deadbeats that don't pay their fair share, you have a single 1%er that finds inventive tax loopholes and doesn't pay his. So which one is cheating us out of more tax revenues?