ocean water??

ifirefight

Hi all, I am new to saltwater tanks,and just bought a used 130 gallon reef tank already up and running for a very good price. We were able to transfer almost all the water,(90 %)live rock,corals,fish etc. The guy I got it from even help me set it up at the house. It is very nice,anyway he says he gets water from the inlet on an incoming high tide,near the very end of the high tide not on a windy day. And has done this for years without a problem. The tank is very healthty. I live 2 miles from the beach (south Florida) so its not a problem to do it. Any input on techniques or other comments appreciated. Thanks

jroath87

i wouldn't just because of all the garbage and pollution in natural ocean water, plus you put yourself at risk for introducing some unwanted pests to your tank. At some fish supply stores you can buy pre-mixed saltwater. This is essentially filtered ocean water and is super easy to use if making your own water intimidates you. it usually comes in a 5 gallon box between 8-15 dollars per box so it does get pricy.

teen

i get my water from the ocean in the summer. go through the inlet into the ocean a bit and get it during high tide. i live on long island.