Oceanic salt users

golfish

Would you guys n gals do me a favore and test the mag level of your tank water and water change water?

T

thomas712

Yeah its been up there, Sorry but I didn't check the water change water, but my tank has been running 1100 so far, (when it was running 780=850 or so with IO) but I have only done 4 or 5 water changes now since going to Oceanic. It might be I'll have to switch salts back and forth to find the best of both worlds. I have been suspecting that its running high for some people from reading others posts. So far no problem in mine.
Oh and thats using Salifert test kit

nm reef

I recently started using a bucket of Oceanic after years of using Instant ocean...later today I'll test the magnesium of the Oceanic I have brewing.So far I've only done I think 3 small changes on my system with the Oceanic and the only number out of wack is my magnesium is low in the reef...but that may have nothing to do with the salt mix....I haven't supplimented for magnesium in a long while and hadn't checked it in a few months. A few days ago I tested all levels and found magnesium down to 990ppm.....I started adding Seachem Calcium with Magnesium to bring it back up but haven't checked the Oceanic levels yet. I'll post what I find later.....:thinking:

diddley

the last time i checked mag in my tank that has been oceanic from its inception, it was 1470. that's with salifert kit and no supplementation. i do add a little mag to my tank that runs on io.

bang guy

Originally posted by golfish
Would you guys n gals do me a favore and test the mag level of your tank water and water change water?

Only if you do the same

golfish

Originally posted by Bang Guy
Only if you do the same

1600 and 1600 using a 5-6 year old kit and a brand new kit. (Salifert)

bang guy

I only bubbled it for a few hours but Mg should be accurate by now.
I get the following mixed at a salinity of 35ppt:
Mg - 1400ppm
Ca - 450ppm
ALK - 3.0Meq/L

golfish

Bang, diddley
I'm guessing now that I got a bad batch of Oceanic salt. I'd sure like to hear from lots more people tho
Thanks for the time spent.
Mark

nm reef

I've got a 10 gal batch thats been mixing all week....tested it last night...
calcium: 420 ppm
alkalinity: 3.0 meg/L
magnesium: 1450ppm
salinity 33ppt
:notsure:

bang guy

Leona just reported in another thread that she's seeing a level of 1625 for Magnesium from Oceanic Salt.

you know . . . in about three years of reefkeeping, I have never tested Mag . . . I am guessing that by the reactions here that 1600+ is bad?
Isn't around 1400 or so good?
Thanks guys . . . now I gotta go buy ANOTHER test kit . . .

bang guy

Typically Mg only needs to be tested if there's excess Calcium precipitation. In this case, Golfish is concerened about Oceanic overdosing Mg. Too much Mg causes marine animals to become lethargic.

donahue

this may be a little off topic, but ive been using oceanic salt since day one and everytime i do a water change i get a diatom bloom about 2 days later, ive heard of other people having this happen too. anyone here have the same experience?

golfish

Thanks Bang, going by what I see here and on another thread I started I'm thinking Iwe are seeing some bad batches of Oceanic salt. I guess its back to IO salt mix.

solonfairy

I've been through ~6 200g buckets of oceanic. I test each one when it's opened. At 35ppt, I get these ranges: 440-480 Ca, 7ish dkh, and 1300-1400mag using RO/DI made at home. (all Salifert Kits)
There are some reports of odd oceanic batches out there lately. This seems to happen to all salt mixes from time to time. Thats why it is a good idea to always test a new bucket of salt when you open it.

T

thomas712

Mark - I'd like to add my findings on the Oceanic salt now.
Yesterday I mixed up about 25 gallons, over the course of several hours bringing up to temp and adding salt, my hydrometer shows the proper 35 ppt. I tested for Mg, cal, and alk. All salifert test kits.
This is about 25 hours after start of mixing.
Mg = 1260
Cal = 500
Alk = 3.09 Meq/L or 8.6 dKH
Hope that helps.
I have another bucket that I have not opend yet and might not get to it until summer hits.
Thomas

golfish

I'm starting to wonder about the Salifert test kits and or Oceanics ability to make a good slat mix. One of Oceanic claims is to have a HIGH Mag level....I've seen post of mag levels ranges from 1200 to 1600 on Oceanic..
Good old IO measured up 1350 right on the button.

S

suprbeagle

Originally posted by donahue
this may be a little off topic, but ive been using oceanic salt since day one and everytime i do a water change i get a diatom bloom about 2 days later, ive heard of other people having this happen too. anyone here have the same experience?

Many people have had severe algae issues using Oceanic, myself included, with each desperate water change using Oceanic making it worse. As soon as I switched back to Reef Crystals, the algae issue went away. Though many algae issues can be contributed to poor husbandry, in my case, Oceanic was 100% the issue.

T

thomas712

Originally posted by Thomas712
Mark - I'd like to add my findings on the Oceanic salt now.
, my hydrometer shows the proper 35 ppt.
Thomas

Ah crap, just to set the record straight I meant Refractomer not hydrometer.