oceanic vs reef crystals

M

markeo99

I have always used reef crystals and my lfs is pushing oceanic should I stick with my reef crystals or switch over

nordy

In situations like this, analyze why you would want to switch? There are 2 basic reasons: 1) Cost and 2) Performance. Cost should IMO never be the prime mover in changing suppliers, but if you have a product of known and respected quality, offered at a really good price, then go for it! Performance is more important-are you having any problems with using Reef Crystals? Technically, there shouldn't be any difference between the two brands. I have heard of people getting a bad batch of Reef Crystals. I use them and got a 5 gal bucket awhile ago from my LFS for $35 which seemed to be a goodprice. They also had some brand I did not recognize for something like $20 for the same amount. That scared me away-why was it so much cheaper than the Reef Crystals. When I check levels in my Reef Crystals water before adding it during a water change, it's always spot on for calcium and PH so hey, it works for me!

mr_x

there is a difference between the 2 brands. mix a 50 gallon tub of each and you will see a big difference right off the bat. alot more brown film in the mixing tub than you should have when you mix the --. the tub is clean after mixing oceanic.
the oceanic has alot more calcium as well. -- gives me a 380 CA, and oceanic gives me a 550.
i've just switched to oceanic from --, and everything is looking better.

I recently bought the Oceanic and noticed very high Calcium levels as well
(500)
Is this OK? Aren't the calcium levels in your reef supposed to be between 400-450?
I checked my calcium in my 55g reef and the level was just under 500 and I'm concerned. Is this ok? Shoudl I just wait for the calcium levels to come down?
Is it bad for the levels to be this high in my reef softie/LPS reef tank?

mrinelfrlz

OCEANIC ALL THE WAY

huge change in the way corals looked and the growth!
been using it for about a year now even got my brother inlaw to change over too

M

markeo99

I still have a pail of -- should I blend it off to reduse shock ,stress or just wait till I am out and switch

M

markeo99

rcI dont have to buffer the ph is always on its hassle free is oceanic buffer good and spot on for ph

M

markeo99

any chance oceanic comes in a really cool

[hr]
on lid bucket

mr_x

Originally Posted by markeo99
http:///forum/post/2621301
any chance oceanic comes in a really cool

[hr]
on lid bucket
haha..that's the only drawback. it's a snap on lid.
mark..i ran out of -- and went right to oceanic, but if i had extra --, i would have mixed them and eased the transition.

R

rcreations

I hear people have pH problems with Oceanic all the time, so personally I'd stick with what works, which in my case is --. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

bgbdwlf2500

i use Instant Ocean and like it. 2 cups in 5 gallons makes the ph and salinity right. ive never thought to check right after mixing what the ph is but the tank is always 8.2-8.3...its the first salt i bought and wouldnt switch at this point

J

jrthomas40

i use both at the 1 water change with reef crystals then the next with oceanic...they both have their positives and short commings...reef crystals for me doesnt keep my calcium high enough but keeps everything at a decent balance so i use oceanic to get the higher ca and if it gets to high bring back the -- to drop it a little bit

guyerson

I used to use regular Instant Ocean and was having a hard time maintaining my calcium levels so I switched to Oceanic. I've had very good results since I switched. I do a 20% change every two weeks and only dose C-Balance in between to maintain a calcium level of 420. I've not used Reef Crystals, so I can't say anything good, bad or indifferent about -- in comparison to Oceanic..

perfectdark

I started with Oceanic and havent had a need to look else where in 15 months now. I am very happy with it and my tank levels have never changed.

scopus tang

I also started with the oceanic, but started mixing oceanic with -- because I couldn't keep alkalinity up. pH was never a problem but alkalinity I was dosing constantly. Anyone else have problems with it
?

J

jrthomas40

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2622868
I also started with the oceanic, but started mixing oceanic with -- because I couldn't keep alkalinity up. pH was never a problem but alkalinity I was dosing constantly. Anyone else have problems with it
?
i use both at the same time too for almost the same reason....i have thought about combining the 2 into 1 but just havent done it yet