Ocellarus color

geridoc

I picked up a small tank-bred ocellarus clown two months ago. He had bright orange and white coloration at that time. Now about 3/4 of his orange body has turned dark black, leaving only his abdomen orange. He seems very healthy, eats 3-4 times his own body weight if I let him, is hosted in a frogspawn (no anemone in the tank), and seems to get along well with the other fish in the tank. Is this just some genetic mutation, or do these fish do this for a reason?

bang guy

Many of the so called Black & White Ocellaris start life a vibrant orange and turn black as they mature.
From this:

To this:

reefr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/393061/ocellarus-color#post_3493963
That is so darn cool. Gotta love evolution. LOL.
they get even darker than the second pic. the orange on their face in the 2nd pic becomes black and they look black and white totally. My BW pair is starting to change to black on their face.

S

siptang

Wow that's pretty awesome sauce!
My clowns were vibrant orange when I picked them up from clownfish farm now they are still orange but there are alot of black spots forming in their body. Hmm....

S

siptang

I see.. wife is going to be unhappy... she likes it really vibrant orange.

geridoc

I have almost convinced my wife that everybody has the bright orange kind, but we have a rare and exciting genetic mutant. Almost convinced!

S

siptang

I removed my rbta and placed it in my sump yesterday because it decided to walk and sting my corals.

btldreef

I have an Ocellaris that is at least 3 years old now and is still as vibrant an orange as the day I bought her. You likely have a genetic mutation. That's how we got all these designer clowns to begin with, people starting breeding together the "mutants"

reefr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/393061/ocellarus-color#post_3494328
I have an Ocellaris that is at least 3 years old now and is still as vibrant an orange as the day I bought her. You likely have a genetic mutation. That's how we got all these designer clowns to begin with, people starting breeding together the "mutants"
yes! the "mutants" haha