Octopus Extreme 160

zik69

Two weeks ago I upgraded my Coralife 125 skimmer to a new Octo Extreme 160 mainly because I've read so many good things about it. I must be doing something wrong because so far I'm not to happy with its performance. It's on a 72g tank (heavily stocked) and currently I'm using the soft needle impeller (mine didn't come with both). It's collecting about the same amount, if not less (about 1/4 of the cup in two weeks), of a dark green and wet skimmate than the coralife. I've played with adjusting the water level and right now it's all the way up in the collection cup maybe 1/4 of the way to the top and it's still not collecting anything. I've read that some people have the water level right where the body starts to taper in and I've tried that, but I didn't get anything. With my old skimmer I would only get dark green simmate and when I saw pictures of some the gunk that gets pulled with better quality skimmers I 've decided to upgrade. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

blueknight

I have been using the Octopus Extreme 200 for about 8 months. The first 3 months I was very disappointed in its performance. I have read on this forum that some skimmers have a break in period, so I give if some time and since then I have been very happy with this skimmer and I would recommend it to anyone.

scsinet

You should be getting to the point where the skimmer breaks in and starts really cooking.
Give it another week and report back if it's still not working.

zik69

I didn't know that the break-in period might be that long, but it's good to know that it probably hasn't reached its potential yet. thanks.

grubsnaek

i would say give it more time also....there are many more good stories than horror stories. these skimmers are meant to skim, and they do. and giving the fact that you have the extreme version and not the regular octo 160, you'll see it take off. good skimmer for a 75....

zik69

Well, it's been about 3 months now and I still don't see any improvement in its performance. I only get about 1/2" of wet green skimate every week and I think I should be getting more. I've played with adjusting the water level and moved it around the sump without any results. I don't have any problems with the water quality, but still, with the tank heavily stocked I think I should be pulling out a lot more gunk. The only think I haven't done is the mesh kit. Like I mentioned before the skimmer didn't come with the meshed wheel, but I do have the kit that came with a wheel and some mesh. Can some one point me to link that explains the process? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

forcrz6

Originally Posted by zik69 http:///forum/post/2943071
Well, it's been about 3 months now and I still don't see any improvement in its performance. I only get about 1/2" of wet green skimate every week and I think I should be getting more. I've played with adjusting the water level and moved it around the sump without any results. I don't have any problems with the water quality, but still, with the tank heavily stocked I think I should be pulling out a lot more gunk. The only think I haven't done is the mesh kit. Like I mentioned before the skimmer didn't come with the meshed wheel, but I do have the kit that came with a wheel and some mesh. Can some one point me to link that explains the process? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Here is the 1 time I posted with my Mesh mod
http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/349189/how-can-i-make-a-fake-rock-background

zik69

Water level in the sump is always between 8.5" and 10.5", but most of the time its around 9".

When you say the skimmer is sitting in 9" of water, is that from the bottom of the stand or the top of the stand where the skimmer cup is?
I also have a MSX160 and mine is still breaking in