octopus from SWF

lmecher

I purchased this O. hummelincki or caribbean two spot from Saltwaterfish.com. I thought I'd share it here. It has been in my tank for four days so far. It is very active and eating both frozen and live food. Unfortuantely I am leaning towards female. I hope she dosen't brood soon, a common problem when a female is aquired. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Here is a video I shot yesterday in which "Poe Poe" displays some pretty interesting comouflage.
http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll139/Lmecher/?action=view&current=DSCN1864.mp4

meowzer

WOW...that is amazing, and it is so activ e
how are ya? How's the other octo doing?
p.s......I deleted the other thread for you :)

R

rcreations

Cool! I've never seen one in real time, that was incredible!

flower

That is so awesme! I love octos but would never have one. It really can blend when it wants to, it looks just like the rocks.
Thanks for the video, I let my sister watch it, she is visiting for a few days. She loves saltwater critters.

gmford1979

That thing is pretty cool. i had one a few years ago. i was new in the hobby and didn't plan, just bought it. my LFS knew everything i had in my tank and he told me it would be ok. he didn't tell me that the snowflake eel i had LOVED to eat octopus. lol. needless to say, he didn't last but about one night in my tank. i wasn't too happy about it. but that thing is awsome!!

lmecher

gmford, that is too bad. Most LFS workers don't have a clue, sorry that happened to you.
I just got home from a 2 day stay in the hospital. I got a nasty infection in my finger, noticed it the day after a water change. It could be from my tank or unrelated but it was scary. I have recovered after heavy duty antibiotics and back to business.
I took this video on Wednesday but was unable down load it. It shows Poe just being Poe. She hangs out on the glass and swims all day. I a thinking she likes all the current this tank has.
http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll139/Lmecher/?action=view&current=DSCN1881.mp4

sparty059

Lmecher, is your tank just that big, or is the octopus just that small? I looked all over for information on it and can't find anything. What other fish do you have in this tank? How large is your tank? I see you have a 120 at largest on your profile. How much did it cost you? Sorry for the blast of questions, but this is possibly one of the coolest creatures in teh SWF world, and you've trigged a bit of awe... to the point that I would like to purchase one (assuming it's compatible with my fish, and will do well in my tank size (150 gallon)). Please tell me more information about this creature. I'm very curious!

sparty059

Bah, never mind. I looked some information up. It feeds off of sleeping fish. No way Jose. Very cool thing though, I'd love to get one in the future as keep it in its own tank. That would be an awesome guy to have.

lmecher

This octopus is very small. The tank is a 120. I have just moved it to a 50. I now have a young O. briareus in the 120.
I only have 3 fish. I have gotten rid of all the rest.I have a clown pair in a seperate tank. You should not keep fish with them. The fish will either become a meal or they can nip and harass the octopus. I have this one fish in the tank, it is a blenny. I thought it had died, it had been in a back chamber for months, it was skin and bones. It is doing better but I have found it very difficult to catch. I am keeping an eye on it for now and may remove it.
Octopuses are opportunistic feeders. Their main diet consists of crustations but will take fish occasionally. I bought the small O. hummelicki from SWF, you can check there for price.
She is unfortunately brooding, will lay eggs (small egged species, unraisable) and shortly after they hatch, she will die.
If you would like some resources send me a PM.

lmecher

The female dies. The young are planktonic, they float in the water eating smaller organisms until they get large enough to sink to the bottom. Then then become benthic. No one as far as I know has been able to tank raise small egged octopus.

lmecher

New little O. briareus, my daughter named it Aquamarine.
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll139/Lmecher/Samanthas%20octopus/DSCN1937.jpg