octopus from SWF

chain

Thats a nice looking Octo, looks very active in the video. Just be sure to stay away from the blue ring octo's. Got bitten by one a few years ago and needless to say was technically dead for a while. I had done prior research on blue rings before I ever attempted keeping one, however only recently their toxin was broken apart from maculotoxin into about a dozen or so other ingredients. The only issue I had ever had keeping any octopus was the 'rug-burn' like infections they typically get from rubbing up against the glass. The best I can describe it is almost identical to what a rug burn would be like on a persons leg, however the octupus wound can become infected very easily which leads to a quick death. Watch this carefully. Also you want to be sure to close the top off completely, even going as far as to tape the feeding hatch shut. They will open it and climb right on out without hesitation (Im sure you know this already having successfully kept one). I didn't get bitten by a escaped octo, I actually thought he had escaped so i opened the lid to the aquarium. (It was a closed top, custom built hood almost like an eclipse hood.) I went to move some of the top rock work, (I had tongs I was using) and he had latched himself to the inside of the lid. I didn't notice. When I reached in he fell right on my forearm. I panicked. He bit. Long story you all probably don't want to hear. Your octo looks great though, just be sure to watch out for any cuts or scratches anywhere. Ive noticed they are very prone to infection. Best of Luck

Heres a link to a blue-ring octo wiki if you've never heard of them before. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-ringed_octopus
Typing that all out makes me want another one =(.

dmanatee

neet thing when you are lucky to get one. These are very inteligent creatures. When I was about 12 my grandfather and an octo-tank. He had the thing open up jars to get his food. Else the thing seemed to get board and crawl out of the tank and over to the goldfish bowl for a snack. It unfortuatly met its demise when the glass lid came crashing down and smushed the poor thing. "Rest is peace Mr.squigly"
I can definatly tell that resurch has chainge in a short amount of time. Back then they said its ok to feed you SWF freshwater species like the nutrient deprived commet goldfish.
Congrats on your octo and sorry it broody. Some day down the road I would love to get one and hopefully it will be just as smart as my grandfathers.

lmecher

Lois- Snuffalufagus? I can't remember which one you gave that name to. I have had a few. I have Poe and Aqua now, all the others have passed on. Thanks for posting that photo, I can't figure out how this new system works.
dmanatee- I had an O. vulgaris (El Diablo) that could unscrew a container to get food. He also loved to pull my magfloat off the glass and steal my cleaning tools.

sueandherzoo

Hey - fancy bumping into you here! :) Today is the day I drive to Boston to pick up some octopus hatchlings so I'm doing yet another search for threads about others who have attempted to raise hatchlings. Doesn't look like too many "Octo Mom's" on SWF.com but it was worth a shot.
See you over at TONMO. :)
Sue

lmecher

Hi Sue!
Yeah, the best place to look for advice is Tonmo.com see you back over there. I am very excited for you. I will be looking for news on your thread

sueandherzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/383026/octopus-from-swf/20#post_3365126
HEY YOU GUYS......we like octo info too :(
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like we were hoarding the info elsewhere, just didn't want to bore anyone since there don't seem to be many ceph keepers here right now. If this new venture goes well I will post a link to the journal I'm keeping "over there" if that's alright with SWF.com. I don't really want to steer anyone there yet because I've had them about 12 hours.... not even sure they're going to survive the transport yet. :(
Sue

lmecher

Oh Lois, I am not try to exclude you SWF folks. I am so sorry if you saw it that way. Sue is in need of specialized advice in keeping hatchlings. I'll post something new for you. I think I have been putting it off because of the changes to this website. I am having trouble trying to figure out how to post photos and videos. I am frustrated :flamed:

lmecher

Poe laid eggs and they all hatched. Unfortunately her young are planktonic, nearly impossible to raise at this time by hobbyists. They lived a few days. She is still with me, she has not come out of her den yet and refuses food. My time with her is nearing the end. I am very sad but this is how it goes when keeping octopuses.

lmecher

The babies are all gone and the mother will soon follow. :sad: It is just their pre-programed life cycle. Now had it been a "large egged" species, I would have given raising her young a try. I am hoping to try my hand at raising the young of our O. briareus (large egged that produce benthic young) if her eggs are viable. She as with most are wild caught and hopefully will have already mated. Time will tell.
Will post an update as things with Poe develop.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueAndHerZoo http:///forum/thread/383026/octopus-from-swf/20#post_3365214
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like we were hoarding the info elsewhere, just didn't want to bore anyone since there don't seem to be many ceph keepers here right now. If this new venture goes well I will post a link to the journal I'm keeping "over there" if that's alright with SWF.com. I don't really want to steer anyone there yet because I've had them about 12 hours.... not even sure they're going to survive the transport yet. :(
Sue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmecher
http:///forum/thread/383026/octopus-from-swf/20#post_3365322
Oh Lois, I am not try to exclude you SWF folks. I am so sorry if you saw it that way. Sue is in need of specialized advice in keeping hatchlings. I'll post something new for you. I think I have been putting it off because of the changes to this website. I am having trouble trying to figure out how to post photos and videos. I am frustrated :flamed:
That's ok....I just find them fascinating.....