Octopus

805puffer

I was looking at an ornate octopus at my local fish store and i wanted to know if it could go in a reef tank. If it could do you think it would eat any of my corals, fish or bother my anemone.It is about 12 inches long.
Fish in tank:
maroon clown
chromis
cardinal
fuzzy dwarf lionfish
arrow crab
yellow eyed tang
white sebae anemone

dominican

That would be a huge mistake. You've obviously not done any research on octopus. Not flaming you, just stern caution... First of all, it'll eat all your fish & inverts ('cept maybe not your Lion, or corals), and on top of that 12" is huge... Please do some reading before even remotely considering buying an octopus... They're awesome, but should be kept in their own tank.. Just my two cents....
Regards,
Dominican

805puffer

ok, i just wanted to find a little information about them. thanks for telling me though cause that would suck if he ate all my fish.

fishnerd

In a sick sort of way, I wonder what would happen when the octopus attacked the lion.
I would never put them together, but would like to see it happen in the wild.

tennisace

O...and if u do get it you better have everything sealed tight and the top with weights on it. They are one of the smartest creatures in the world and can pretty much escape from anything, so be extrememly careful, and u might want screens or something on your tubing just in case.

townsdp

Just for kicks, a fish store kept octopi when I was little in VA. They had so much trouble with them getting out, they would keep them in large hamster balls in the aquariums. funny sight

jen14

I was at my LFS yesterday and they had two floating in hamsterballs, I had never seen that before and thought it was kind of funny. (I was wondering why they were floating in the hamsterballs, now I know
)

sprang

one got loose at shedds in chicago and crawled in another tank and killed the fish. I didn't know they were that aggressive. I also read a bite from certain octopus is extremly fatal to humans.

bergamer

my lfs had the octo that was the most poisenes in the world and it could kill a human in 15 minutes. they kept it in a little cup in the tank

tome

The blue ringed octopus. They're beautiful little guys..
... and extremly deadly!!! but with the octopus they usually need to be by themselves they usually like eating fish and crabs. And if you do get one put a fish or crab in a bottle and cork the bottle then watch him pop the cork out and get the occupent :D