Octopus

lmecher

I just received my second octopus yesterday. I am hoping this one lives longer. With octopuses it is near impossible to tell the age especially when the species is unknown. My first was (not positively identified as O. adopus possibly aculetus) and lived for 3 weeks before it showed signs of senescence.
This new octopus is O. Briareus. He or she (not positive yet, but thinking it is a he) is quite the looker, don't ya think? These photos are during acclimation. He is now behind the rockwork and I don't expect to see him out and about for a while

browniebuck

just a question...what is the container that you are acclimating the octopus in? It looks like either a Ziploc container or a piece of GladWare.
The reason that I ask is that if this has been used for something else and been washed, you probably don't want to use it as you would be introducing traces of whatever it is that you washed it with into your tank or to your critters that are acclimating...just a thought.

lmecher

Originally Posted by browniebuck
http:///forum/post/3178101
just a question...what is the container that you are acclimating the octopus in? It looks like either a Ziploc container or a piece of GladWare.
The reason that I ask is that if this has been used for something else and been washed, you probably don't want to use it as you would be introducing traces of whatever it is that you washed it with into your tank or to your critters that are acclimating...just a thought.
You are very perceptive
...It was brand new, I needed something to put him into the tank with. I didn't want to add any water from acclimation bag. I didn't actually acclimate him in it, just scooped him up in it and placed it in the tank. I am very careful with anything I put into my tanks.

lmecher

I named my octopus Ollie. He was out last night hunting shrimp without success. I knew he was very hungry. Feeding attempts up to this point failed, he would retreat when I approached the tank. Last night, I approached from the opposite side of the tank and when shrimp got a few inches from him, he pounced on it. He a pretty strong, I had a hard time holding onto the feeding stick. I managed to snap a quick photo just as he let go and retreated into his den.

lmecher

I have 7 in the tank. I have seen him try to hunt them but either the shrimp are too fast or he is too slow but I have lost none yet. Crabs are a different story, so far he has gotten 3 fiddlers and 3 emeralds. Now that he is eating frozen shrimp, that will be his main diet with a fiddler now and then to keep the cost down.

S

shrimpy brains

Very cool! and I can't beleive I'm saying this, but very cute. He sure is small. How big is he? And how big do you expect him to get?

lmecher

He is actually pretty large, his arms are about 10 inches long, mantel about 1 1/2-2". He is quite a sight to see as he creeps over the rockwork, arms exploring every crevice as he searchs for food. When he spots something, a shrimp, crab or maybe fish, his arms go white and with a sudden burst he pounces. I have seen him hunt a couple times always missing the target.
Thanks, I think he is cute too, in a menacing kind of way.

flower

I love Ollie the octopus. I read they are smart and will come out of the tank unless the top is very secure. Spooking him may make him release ink. For those reasons I never tried to have one. But IMO it is the coolest critter in the ocean!
If my research is correct, in the end, him and the coral will be the only thing in the tank. All your fish, crabs and shrimp are doomed.

lmecher

I converted my reef tank just to keep him. I have a very secure cover and am in the process of making an even better one w/sliding door for easier access. I purchased and keep fiddlers in a seperate tank. I did pick up some shrimp and a couple emeralds when they were dirt cheep just for him to keep him busy. They are very intelligent and hunting these critters will give him the mental stimulation he needs. I have watched his clumbsy attempts going after the shrimp, one day he'll get one I am hoping. I do have a couple chromis in there because I didn't want to add them to my other tanks and it is something to look at while Ollie is in his den. This is my second octopus and I have yet to have one ink. (as she knocks on wood)
On the cool scale Ollie is at the top, there is a grace to the movment of O. briareus, beautiful to watch.
Love the input from everyone : )

flower

Originally Posted by Lmecher
http:///forum/post/3184335
I converted my reef tank just to keep him. I have a very secure cover and am in the process of making an even better one w/sliding door for easier access. I purchased and keep fiddlers in a seperate tank. I did pick up some shrimp and a couple emeralds when they were dirt cheep just for him to keep him busy. They are very intelligent and hunting these critters will give him the mental stimulation he needs. I have watched his clumbsy attempts going after the shrimp, one day he'll get one I am hoping. I do have a couple chromis in there because I didn't want to add them to my other tanks and it is something to look at while Ollie is in his den. This is my second octopus and I have yet to have one ink. (as she knocks on wood)
On the cool scale Ollie is at the top, there is a grace to the movment of O. briareus, beautiful to watch.
Love the input from everyone : )

Well I am very glad to hear you did your homework.
Hope my book post gives you some useful info. Congratulations on Ollie, he/she is very cool indeed...

lmecher

I have a tight fitting plexiglass cover on top of which my lighting units sit. We are in the process of makeing one out of lexon, a much thicker material w/access door in the center. The problem with the current cover is that it is cumbsy to open for feeding.

lmecher

Update: he is doing well, great appetite, never disappoints us. He puts on a good show for guests. I am sorry to say I have no new photos, my son took my camera to FL. I will try to get some new shots soon. He is almost never out with the lights on and when I do notice him, as soon as he sees me looking at him he returns to his den. It is frustrating
. I wish I could observe him more but knew this was a possibility going in so will just have to remain patient.