ODD Pest Anemone Removal Question + Reference PICs

dub tek

Hello AGAIN!!!
Long time reader w/Couple o posts
BACK AGAIN WITH A QUESTION....
I have some type of anemone in my tank that I need to remove.
I have tried every option that I can find online + a few of my own
1 rubber banding the stalk tight, think strangulation.. (it moves right out and repositions)
2 Boiling water (slight stun - 2hrs to recover)
3 Lemon juice (1 day stun - 1 day recover)
4 Joes juice (2 day stun - 2 day recover)
5 home mix calkwasser paste. diluted to be able to pass through a needle(1 day recover)
6 I used stainless shears + CUT THE HEAD OFF (2 weeks, then its good as new)

This is was a hitchhicker from some live rock
There was ONLY ONE for the first year of the tanks life (going on 3 years of success!!!)
That single first one has now split and its young have followed accordingly
I now have 14 total...
IF I could remove the foot from the rock I would.
However its the MOST TIGHT HOLD EVER.....
Removing the rock is NOT an option...
ANY ADVICE????
Thanks again for hosting a GREAT BOARD

Pics for reference............
1 "Sleeping" in colony
2 single that walked off from colony (fresh open just when lights go on)
3 single (full open 4 hrs o light)
4 same single as #3 different view

PS.
MODS.... If I am posting in incorrect location
PLEASE RELOCATE.
Thanks again for all the help!
Tek.

cranberry

Have you tried peppermint shrimp? I believe Meowzer said the ones from here eat appies.
I tried everything with the appies in one of my tanks. I couldn't use shrimp because of the other inhabitants. I ended up buying 2 filefish. They've been enjoying their appy snacks. Yours are a slightly different variety. They sound pretty resilient just like the "regular ole ones".

meowzer

YUP, the peppermints from here did eat some little ones that popped up in my 54g...I have only ever found 1 in the 225G, and it was kinda big
Lemon juice got that sucker...:)

flower

+1 on all the above...keep squirting joes juice or whatever you use right in the opening...everytime it comes back do it agan. OR take out the rock it is on and boil it...it kills that rock but it will reseed from the other in the tank when you put it back.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3150146

+1 on all the above...keep squirting joes juice or whatever you use right in the opening...everytime it comes back do it agan. OR take out the rock it is on and boil it...it kills that rock but it will reseed from the other in the tank when you put it back.
You have had them come back????? I thought the whole point was this stuff killed them?
Or do you mean different ones in general?
I guess I have been lucky....I saw 2 itty bitty ones on the 54g, got the peppermints, and have never seen another
I saw ONE in my 225G (ONE) it was a good sized one, peps didn't seem to want to touch it...tried the boiling water..NOPE....tried lemon juice...have not seen it (or anything else) since

flower

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3150153
You have had them come back????? I thought the whole point was this stuff killed them?
Or do you mean different ones in general?
I guess I have been lucky....I saw 2 itty bitty ones on the 54g, got the peppermints, and have never seen another
I saw ONE in my 225G (ONE) it was a good sized one, peps didn't seem to want to touch it...tried the boiling water..NOPE....tried lemon juice...have not seen it (or anything else) since

If you don't squirt the stuff right in the opening...it will return and it is hard to sometimes get the perfect angle to do that...and also those who came later.
I killed a huge one with joes juice 3xs now...I have peppermint shrimp now and I have seen no others. I havn't seen the shrimp either...I guess as long as I don't see aiptasia...life is good, they do their thing.

dub tek

Like I said the joes juice is NOT KILLING IT..
It will stun it for 2 days
then there will be 2 more days where it will look like its dying
then its back to normal
this cycle has been repeated a number of times
back to back with ZERO sucess
Please keep this in mind also
I have CUT THEM OFF @ THE STALK...
About 2 weeks and its right back to normal, like I never even cut it......
I dont think this is APTASHIA
Unless aptashia is an anemone.
As these things can move and they definitely eat like anemones.
I have a few more pics
Maybee someone has a silver bullet for me........
ROCK IN QUESTION

This one was injected 5 days ago.
(Joes Juice. DIRECTLY INTO MOUTH!!!)

Again ANY help would be great
as NOTHING ive tried kills them
Only stuns it for a few days @ best

Thanks again
APTX treatment was used when I noticed the first one split about 2 years ago....
ZERO sucess. It did funk my water quality for weeks though....

dub tek

I forgot to mention
When Ive Used the Boiling Water trick
After it "regrows" its ALLWAYS LARGER then it was prior to water injection
the joes juice injections
DONT seam to effect size when the "regrow"
there about 2" TALL
and about 2.5" in DIA
When Full grown

dub tek

Ive been doing LOTS of reading about this pest
I may resort to braking off the rock chunks that have the feet attached
and removing them completely
Ill post up once I find a removal method
I just cant believe they "regrow" when I cut them off
Im cutting directly @ the base
allowing just a thin film of the foot to remain
thanks again for any tips

scsinet

Have you tried natural control using peppermint shrimp?
I personally have always had success with them, others have not, but given what you've tried, maybe it's worth a shot...
Nice purple firefish, btw.

oceandude

Hi. Peppermints are good for eating aiptasia aka as glass or rock anemone, but they won't eat one if it's larger than they are. Only smaller ones.
I use pickling lime mixed with vinegar and regular R/O and it does pretty good. Just mix it and inject with your Joe's Juice syringe/needle.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

dub tek

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/3150578
Those almost look like single head duncans
Those are huge
What is that??
Originally Posted by oceandude

http:///forum/post/3150684
I use pickling lime mixed with vinegar and regular R/O and it does pretty good. Just mix it and inject with your Joe's Juice syringe/needle.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Looks Like I have a new mix to try out...
I am a bit leery of using to many liquids that pose a threat to the water quality
I have yet to have any issues
NOT looking to creat any
I will post back with what I find that actually works
Looks like this may be a long road
thanks ALL

oceandude

Originally Posted by dub tek
http:///forum/post/3151061
What is that??
Looks Like I have a new mix to try out...
I am a bit leery of using to many liquids that pose a threat to the water quality
I have yet to have any issues
NOT looking to creat any
I will post back with what I find that actually works
Looks like this may be a long road
thanks ALL
Both vinegar and pickle lime are your friend. I promise. Just don't overdose and all will be well. Forget your tank size, but you won't need much at all, so it should not be any problem at all. Essentially all you will do is increase your calcium level and pH and the only one to monitor with any concern to me would be the pH level. Simple check.

dub tek

I did see some pics of that duncan
You are correct they do look close @ first glance
Im going to give that lemon mix a try
Like I said Ill get back with some results
Im going down the ohio river for some camping/ATV riding
Sunday evenings are tank night
Ill get some more pics once there gone
thanks again all

the_bandit

If all else fails!
Bergiha Nudibranch will more than likely solve the problem. They are small .5''-1'' tan nudibranch that go and eat Aiptasia. They are solely bred to eat aiptasia. I saw a video of 4 or 5 of them tackling and eating a very large aiptasia. They are about 10$ per nudibranch. I havent tried them myself but I have heard they do the trick. I would do some research into them because they require a very slow and controlled acclimation.
I have a tank that is specifically for rock with aiptasia on it and I havent once seen Aiptasia grow on gravel. The base of those in your pics look alot more solid than the aiptasia in my tank. Mine have a see through tube base that you can even see the food being digested when they snatch it.

mastertech

I had about 30 majano anemones and found a really great way to remove them.
when moving the rock is an option, lean the rock up agains the glass with the anemone pointing down (or in shade) and all but smash it against the glass. within a 12-24 hr period the anemone will move onto the glass and it is easy to remove the footing (because it is loose and on the move already) and discard it without disturbing much.
if rock moving is not an option. get a sheet of black or very opaque plastic/acrilic/pcv etc. (non bouyant) and cover the anemone in a manner that will coax it onto the easily removable material and throw it out. (it has worked wonders for me!!) good luck.

mastertech

Or clear glass with a hole cut into it. then lay the glass over the pest and try the rubber band thing again. hopefully the pest will move onto the glass and then you can remove it and clean the glass.