oh boy!!! here's another one

redarizona

ok, since I am not getting any responses on my other questions...
I'll ask another...I have been told that RO/DI H20 is best, but I have also been told that instilling soft water for your home is safe for SW tanks too, because it helps rid the water of harmful minerals...is this true?

misty927

Hmmm....don't most homes have water softeners to begin with?? Maybe I'm not understanding your question right. But tap water is generally considered as a no no to use...regardless of your home filtration. Yes many minerals will be eliminated with a softener but others will remain. It just "softens" the water...it doesn't purify it. So you're still left with some undesirables...which will cause problems. But you could buy a RO/DI purifier...and put it in your home...and there ya go!!

redarizona

I have a RO now, but it only comes out of the spicket in my kitchen sink and frig, and only delivers about a gallon a day...what do mean by installing RO?:notsure:

misty927

Well...the purified refrigerator water isn't exactly the same thing that you would use in your fish tank. I'm talking about a real RO/DI unit...look at the dry goods section on this site under Reverse Osmosis Units...you'll see what I'm talking about.