OH MY GOD!!! Grip of DEATH!!

mujtba

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had my blue hippo tang since it was 1/2 inch and for over 2yrs. It is now almost 6 inches.
Today the tang decided to nip on my clam..
AND OH MY GOD THE CLAM GRIPPED THE HELL OUT OF MY TANG!!
I tried to use my TWO hands to OPEN this clam, but God help me... I could not do it at all!! CLAMS HAVE SUCH A STRONG GRIP!!
Im AMAZED at the clams defensive instinct, and at the same time, devasted by the soon to be loss of my tang!

I took the clam out with my tang attached to it in a large bowl..
Then I used a flat tool to pry the clam open just a tad bit to release my tang...
the tang came out, but had its face looking totally flat.. posssibly all bones broken.. it went behind some rock and will die most likley...
I HAD MY TANG FOR 2 YRS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I know its nature, but DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAVE YOU EVER SEEN SOMETHING LIKE THIS!!! DEVASTATING!

reef46

I'm sorry for your injured fish. But that is something you'd see on the discovery channel and truly an incredible thing to see!

A

azul1994

hey it migth live, though its not likely, sry for your tang

ryanhayes9

I have seen this before with two different tangs. and sadly they never made it. I saw a 4 inch corcea kill at 14 inch naso

mujtba

yea im so shocked.. its not the clams fault, just its defense.. so i cant rid of it.. but if you saw it, i lifted my clam up.. the tang was just attached to it! the clam would just not let go! it was exactly like a bear trap! i will keep you guys posted on my tangs health.. right now, she is in a corner behind a rock, still alive.. lets all pray.

zanoshanox

Creepy clam story? got one:
Once bought a clam from the lfs that was all closed up in the bag, and when i released the clam in into my tank and it opened up, a blue chromis opped out! Alive! Still have him he recovered nicely :)

tx reef

Originally Posted by teen
thats crazy. i dont think i would believe it if it wasnt for the pics.

Same here..that is wild.......

murph145

man i hear yah on that one but those blue tangs once they start pickin on clams wont stop i had one do the same and wished my clams would catch him... not that u would want it that way in your own situation but in my situation it was either the clams or my hippo id rather have my clams ... my clams had some pretty nice bite marks on them for a while until some mysterious reason the tang just died

lion_crazz

I am very sorry to hear about your hippo tang. That is very sad.
I agree with Murph's comments as well. Once the hippo starts, it is very difficult to get them to stop. A friend of mine had to take his hippo which he had for four years back to the LFS because the hippo was nipping at all of the hard corals in his tank.

vpotts28

Those are amazing pictures, to bad they come at the expense of the tang. I hope the little guy pulls through. Good luck and thanks for the pics.