Oh no! Is it dead?

darknes

This afternoon when I fed my fish, my Condi anemone was just like it's normal happy self. I just checked on the tank this evening, and the anemone is all shriveled up (like it does sometimes at night or after feeding), and there are about three purple anemone tentacles on the sand! Could the anemone crab accidentally clipped them off? Could my puffer have bitten them off?
What do you think? Is it going to die or already dead? The anemone is so cool, I'd be very sad if I lost it.

oceanists

Originally Posted by Darknes
This afternoon when I fed my fish, my Condi anemone was just like it's normal happy self. I just checked on the tank this evening, and the anemone is all shriveled up (like it does sometimes at night or after feeding), and there are about three purple anemone tentacles on the sand! Could the anemone crab accidentally clipped them off? Could my puffer have bitten them off?
What do you think? Is it going to die or already dead? The anemone is so cool, I'd be very sad if I lost it.

hmmmmm if there are tentacles in the sand you may want to think about moving it to QT to see how it reacts ..... if it is dead it will appear to be melting.... if this is the case dont let it sit or it will polute your tank

darknes

Well, I just got back home tonight, and the anemone is looking better. It's open up a little more, so I think it's going to be ok.
Any idea why it would just lose a few tentacles? I've never heard of that before.

darknes

Well, he's back to his normal full-grown size this morning and looking real good. I see he has a couple "stubs" growing, so something must have clipped off a few tentacles.
I'm glad it is doing well.

oceanists

Originally Posted by Darknes
Well, he's back to his normal full-grown size this morning and looking real good. I see he has a couple "stubs" growing, so something must have clipped off a few tentacles.
I'm glad it is doing well.
Yeah that is strange ive never heard of anemones shedding, maybe keep an eye out at night for a mantis or something that would mess with it

ledzep fan

I've got a anemone too and mine also loses a few tentacles every now and then but looks perfect. So I'm not to worried about it.