Oh no :(

gemmy

I think one of my seahorses is sick. :( I noticed tonight that it looked like it was gagging or trying to throw up when I fed the tank. It is breathing hard and every time it takes in a piece of mysis it spits it back out. The horse is still active, but not taking in food. Any suggestions?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/394643/oh-no#post_3512516
I think one of my seahorses is sick. :( I noticed tonight that it looked like it was gagging or trying to throw up when I fed the tank. It is breathing hard and every time it takes in a piece of mysis it spits it back out. The horse is still active, but not taking in food. Any suggestions?
Erectus horses, is that correct?
Stuck trigger?
Maybe it just got something too big....When was the last time it ate? How are the other horses?
P.S.
I just remembered something...a few years ago my Erectus was behaving like it was having a mini seizure, jerking it's head. The PH was way off, and as soon as it was corrected the horse was fine, I had 4 and only one was acting like that. So maybe check your parameters.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/394643/oh-no#post_3512525
Erectus horses, is that correct?
Stuck trigger?
Maybe it just got something too big....When was the last time it ate? How are the other horses?
P.S.
I just remembered something...a few years ago my Erectus was behaving like it was having a mini seizure, jerking it's head. The PH was way off, and as soon as it was corrected the horse was fine, I had 4 and only one was acting like that. So maybe check your parameters.
Stuck trigger? Not sure what that means.
I know the mysis was not too big. It had the same response to smaller pieces. It ate the day before. I'm going to try feeding tonight. Everything is normal parameter wise. I tested shortly after the issue. The pH was around 7.8/8.0.
The horse is still active and swimming.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/394643/oh-no#post_3512606
Stuck trigger? Not sure what that means.
I know the mysis was not too big. It had the same response to smaller pieces. It ate the day before. I'm going to try feeding tonight. Everything is normal parameter wise. I tested shortly after the issue. The pH was around 7.8/8.0.
The horse is still active and swimming.
Hi,
Under the saehorses chin is a little pokey looking thing that sticks out, it looks like and is called a trigger (info from seahorse.org.) Sometimes that can be stuck...it is what the seahorses uses to snick up his food and swallow. It is the reason we can hear a little snap noise as they suck up their food. Sometimes the trigger gets stuck and the horse may look like it's choking trying to get the trigger back as it should be.
LOL...I know the mysis you feed him is not too large...but a juicy amphipod that is a bit too large, may make a seahorse look like he is choking as he trys to eat it.
Is he still acting like he is choking?

novahobbies

I'm on mobile (and medicated to boot) but google "seahorse weak snick." Sounds like it might be a possibility...

novahobbies

Krista, you might want to take this to the big seahorse forum. My guess is still weak snick, but I'd love to see what the folks more experienced with disease diagnosis say. Has he managed to keep ANY food down that you can see?

gemmy

Good news!! The seahorse is still alive and eating. They are both eating so well that I can't remember which one was giving me issues. :)