Oh NOOOOOOO!!!!! Need Help.....

luvmyreef

Ok Guys/Gals I just saw my clove polyps this am. they look bad.....And my anemone had moved....I think I just figured out why....Tests are fine though ph-8.1 Ammonia-still running, so far 0, nitrite-0, nitrates 2.5, my sp gravity is thru the roof......I cant get the same reading twice, one minute it says 1.028, and the next 1.030,
I tried my old and a brand new hydrometer....Time for an emergent water change,, before I loose everything!!!
This has never happened before...and I have no saltwater mixed....
SO....how fast can I lower this.....

meowzer

First of all...you really need to look into buying a refractometer...hydrometers (as you can see) are very inaccurate
to lower the salinity...just remove some SW from tank...and add some fresh W/O salt
Do this slowly though
Do you use ro/di water???

luvmyreef

Yes I use RO/DI water... I just put 1 and 1/2 gallons in to top off for now...My tank is ready to overflow... I am in the process of making a fresh batch.... Both hydrometers are reading 1.025 now..But that is at the top of the tank....I dont know what else could be causing my cloves, that have been doing wonderfully for 5 months to look wilted........
and some zoas are melting....

meowzer

What's your temp????
I wouldn't add anymore...wait a couple of hours...let the water circulate and then retest

luvmyreef

temp is 78. It always is. I suppose I will have to break down and by a refractometer..... Ok I will retest in an hour...

luvmyreef

ok meowzer, I just retested...Both read 1.024. I moved the cloves to the front of the tank...I will still do a water change later today.. Some are looking better.
thanks for your help, I was near a panic attack!!!