oh oh, I got a tang

loopy

I have been seeing this poor yellow tang, about an inch and 1/2 long, at the fish store for a couple months. I have watched it waste away to a skinny bony fish. Yep, I bought it. I have 'rescue' in my blood...used to be dogs but got sick of the poo. Anyway, I brought it home and while acclimating it fed it mysis and pellets and lettuce while it was still in the bag..(yes I do the bag acclimation.....don't flame me PALEEZE) He ate really good. Now we can only hope he will continue to do so. YES, I am probably on overload, but can move some smaller fish until the new tank is ready.....flippin setbacks of construction....THOSE PEOPLE DON'T SHOW UP!!!!!
I just couldn't stand it anymore. A girl who works there told me the last one died and they didn't know why....well I did, it starved. I just hated this so I bought it and I am writing a letter the editor of the newspaper addressing the subject of fish vs dogs/cats when it comes to proper care. HUMANE SOCIETY...HELLO!!! (Small town btw) I used to edit the paper, so they'll run it, but no one will probably care, but at least the lfs will maybe get a flippin hint. They will not carry live rock as they believe it's 'ripped from the sea'...(Like the fish aren't, da.) So don't get fish that depend on live rock, algae and stuff to live. :mad: don't carry fish you can't keep alive. Scooter blenny is still there starving to death.

knots

Yellow tang in a 55. I was getting ready to call the tang police and then I read the rest of the story. A live yellow tang in a 55 is better than a dead yellow tang at a lfs. Sounds to me like you did good. I think you better go rescue the scooter now. :yes:

loopy

Thank you knots.......I new the tang police might get me, but I couldn't just watch this guy fade away. It looks like someone gave him a good hard pinch, that's how skinny he is. He is in the tank and still eating...helping himself to the seaweed. I was surprised he did this so fast. I am over my spending limit or I would get the scooter and put him in the qt tank which is going toward a 'permanent home' tank....have another 10 gallon to set up for qt/hospital, just need a lid. The scooter is only about 12 bucks, so I probably could manage it fine on the credit card, it's just when the bill comes....hubby is gonna flip!!! I will probably rise above caring about that and go get the blenny, geez, I'm gonna have to start a rescue tank...lol. I will do the best I can with this Tang, and hopefully he will make it....the lfs said he eats flake food so I asked them to show me..(same with the blenny...one girl started but another stopped her.) Flake food my hinder. I can only hope for the best with the tang...I cannot guarantee success, but at least he's getting some food compared to nothing at the store. Thanks again knots!!!

loopy

ya, BUT, now he's pale and my other fish have been swimming like........goofy...eratic..(sp?) I was told on another thread this could be sign of disease, so did I put him in a death trap? Going on garlic....and saying a few prayers.
Geez.

I am a LOSER.:mad:

55galgill

well i wouldnt go as far as to call yourself a loser you just did what you though was right to save a little creature that was being ignored.garlic is a good idea loopy. check out my thread called "feeding fish" i got a recipe that should help your tang thicken up fast. i use it for my hippo and she goes nuts.good luck and keep me posted on the little guys recovery:D ~Gill~

loopy

update on tang....he/she is eating some flake food and mysis. I have lettuce on a clip and someone's eating it when I'm not around......don't know who. Hope it's the tang...I dunno. He has already lost that horrible 'pinched' look, so think we are doing okay for now. On another post I tell about his future home. I'll be sad to see him go, but all our construction has come to a screaching halt and so had to additional aquarium for now. I still want to rescue the poor blenny, but I just can't afford to purchase anything right now...my daughter is getting confirmed in a couple weeks and the party is costing a mint. Poor blenny. Hopefully someone will buy him. Maybe already have, hope so.
Any tang suggestions are welcome!