Oh Yay! I Got Him!

jennarienne

i am so ecstatic right now, it's ridiculous! i happened to walk past my tank in the middle of the afternoon, and i saw something dart into the lr. well, it just HAPPENED to be the highest piece on top!:D so after about 10 minutes of pacing(with my eye still glued to that rock!), i finally summoned the courage to yank it out. i laid it on a trash bag on the floor, and he came strolling right out of the hole - YIKES!!! AND I WAS RIGHT!!:eek: he is definitely a mantis, he is really beautiful - i hate to kill him, i downright refuse actually, so i hope i can find a lfs or someone who will take him. so anyways, that's my drama for today - thanks everyone for the advice, even though i didn't need a BIT of it :D lol jeez i'm lucky...

slick

Yeah it's to bad such a cool looking creature will kill our fish and is not a thing we keep around.

ophiura

Lots of people happily keep them in species specific nano tanks, and this is certainly an option.

I keep hitch-hiking mantis(s) in my refugium. They have a great life in there with plenty of space and nothing to kill that I want to keep. I feed them krill, silversides or just about anything else. They aren't real fussy when it comes to the menu. FYI...you might want to use long nosed tongs when feeding so your fingers are not mistaken for part of the meal!
Disclaimer: They have a way of surfing down to the sump, so beware when you stick your hands into the filter or sump. I just had to remove one of my houdinis from the sump again today, which prompted me to swap out my old overflow with a spare CPR overflow. That should solve the problem I hope!

foulbrew

jennarienne,
Take him to "Something Fishy" by the airport, I think they stock their live rock with Mantis Shrimp.:D Atleast thats where I picked up the ones I've (unintentionally ) gotten.

jennarienne

i'm sure they do taste good - they eat like frickin' kings!!! i go to that lfs a lot - i'll see if they want him...and if they don't, i just might toss him in the lr tank as i walk by :D aggie, i'd ship him in a second if i thought he'd make it...i hope he makes it through the night in his bowl :( (foulbrew, are you sure you don't want him - you're the only one near me!! ;) i used to live in cottage grove, and could easily drop him off on your doorstep...lol ALL I KNOW IS I DON'T WANT IT!!

jennarienne

i'm a retard - he came on lr with no water, so i guess it wouldn't be too hard to ship...where are you located? it's a DEAL!

a&m aggie 04'

i would of paid for the shipping but ReefSOE might be more prepared to take him now, if not i will and put him in my Q-tank.

jennarienne

sorry, aggie...i didn't know you were willing to pay for shipping. :( i guess i'll just send it to whoever emails me their address first??? he is still alive! not real timid either - i stuck a bamboo skewer in there to see if he was okay, and he went over and gave it a crack (scared the crap out of me), so have fun.....this is exactly what he looks like (almost 2 inches?).