Ok, how about Cowries or Urchins?

heithingi

Hi!
How about Cowries or Urchins for a clean up crew?? I have some cowries that are VERY big plus have really hard shells...they do not clean themselves until it is completely dark. What do you all think?
Lynda

grouperhead

im not really sure what a cowrie is, so i wont reply on that. put urchins wont survive either. triggers are really smart fish and there eyes are so high up on their head because in the wild their favorite food is urchins. the will blow jets of water on them to flip them over and then they eat thier insides out from the bottom up. those wont work.. is a cowrie like a conch or what? heard some talk about them but not sure what they are. later, bo

heithingi

Hi Bo,
Those triggers are smart little buggers, eh? A cowrie looks like a big long snail with a very shiny shell. At night they move around very quickly, and their heads seem to stick out more...but this is in complete darkness. Also, when it is night, they will clean their shells by releasing their body over the shell. During the day, ours always remain hidden in the rocks and toward nightfall, they will slowly begin to come out and start cleaning the glass.
Lynda

pufferlover

I have 2 very large cowries, 1 each in my 2 big puffer tanks (they are the only snails the Puffers can't get to). You are quite right they seldom do anything during the day but at night they are out and about. These 2 I have are about the size of a small baseball but as stated their shells are very shiny and their slits are small enought that they get in and nothing can get them. I do have a couple of short spined white urchins (1 in my reef and 1 in my small 15 gal mini reef). They do move around and also seem to be more night moving (except the one in the 15 seems the reverse probably more comfortable then the other). I can't say the Urchins do much but I find them interesting.

heithingi

Hi Pufferlover,
Thanks for the response! Apparently, the triggers will eat the urchins, but now I know we can put in some cowries! That is great. The snails are just not keeping up with the cleaning, and I am getting this weird brownish stuff on my sand. Like fuzzy stuff. Looks like dust balls or something. Ick. Thanks again!
Lynda

pufferlover

Here I am again. Yes I love those cowries but have a hard time getting them either I find them fairly small or like the last 2 VERY large. I forgot also I have a smaller one in my reef and he is doing fine. I did read they are very reef safe and a benefit for that type tank. At first mine in the reef kept ending up on top of my pipe organ coral, I'd move it then a few hours later there it was again. After a few days of this I took it out moved it into another tank for a few weeks then after reading the article I put it back and it has been good ever since. I know they say they eat algae but frankly whenever it is on the glass then moves I don't see any less green as I do with the Turbos but what the heck they are cool to look at.