Ok...how do I feed my acan?

cocoacf

I was told they feed at night on the crap floating in your tank from stirring up the sand bed.
However, when I stir up my sand bed it gives me a horrible diatom bloom!
Is it necessary to stir my sand bed in order for them to stay alive, grow, and be happy?

kraylen

Whoever told you that needs to be slapped. At night they will extend feeder tentacles what will accept many types of foods from pellets to meaty items... If your flow is to great turn it off for a little while so they can eat... super easy and the growth/color results are worth it. I do it EVERY night.

rlablan

If you're going to feed them, do you just place the pellet right in the center or???
I am very interested in trying to feed mine.

btldreef

Originally Posted by Cocoacf
http:///forum/post/3204445
I was told they feed at night on the crap floating in your tank from stirring up the sand bed.
However, when I stir up my sand bed it gives me a horrible diatom bloom!
Is it necessary to stir my sand bed in order for them to stay alive, grow, and be happy?

Who told you this?!? Never take advice from them again! Stirring up your sand bed is one of the worst things you can do to your tank. Stop doing it. You're going to throw all your water parameters off and you'll get diatoms because you're sending your tank into a mini cycle.
Anyways, as for feeding an acan:
Mine love mysis. I use two options to feed (both usually need to be done at night unless your acans tentacles come out during the day as well. Mine know when they're being fed so they do, most don't, some can be trained, others can not)
1) while I'm feeding my fish, I'll shoot a little fish food their way with a turkey baster
2) at night, once the tentacles are fully extended, I use forceps and place mysis shrimp directly into the center, wait a few seconds the the feeder tentacles will latch onto the shrimp.
As Kraylen said, if they're in high flow, you're going to want to turn off the flow or lower it. I always lower flow for about ten minutes while I feed my corals.
Also, if you have fish/inverts (especially cleaner shrimp) that are complete pigs like I do, you may want to stick around and chase off the fish. My Sailfin tang will rip out every mysis if I walk away from the tank. The Acans need a little bit to fully engulf certain foods (like a chunk of mysis).

kraylen

Also be careful when feeding your acans/LPS during the day with fish like blennies, tangs, angels and others.... They go for the easy food the acans are eating and sometimes the fish get so used to it they end up always nipping the acans and eating THEM.

truperc

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3204488

Who told you this?!? Never take advice from them again! Stirring up your sand bed is one of the worst things you can do to your tank. Stop doing it. You're going to throw all your water parameters off and you'll get diatoms because you're sending your tank into a mini cycle.
Anyways, as for feeding an acan:
Mine love mysis. I use two options to feed (both usually need to be done at night unless your acans tentacles come out during the day as well. Mine know when they're being fed so they do, most don't, some can be trained, others can not)
1) while I'm feeding my fish, I'll shoot a little fish food their way with a turkey baster
2) at night, once the tentacles are fully extended, I use forceps and place mysis shrimp directly into the center, wait a few seconds the the feeder tentacles will latch onto the shrimp.
As Kraylen said, if they're in high flow, you're going to want to turn off the flow or lower it. I always lower flow for about ten minutes while I feed my corals.
Also, if you have fish/inverts (especially cleaner shrimp) that are complete pigs like I do, you may want to stick around and chase off the fish. My Sailfin tang will rip out every mysis if I walk away from the tank. The Acans need a little bit to fully engulf certain foods (like a chunk of mysis).
+1

It never ceases to amaze me when I hear about advice given that is so far off the mark....stir the sand

kraylen

Originally Posted by TruPerc
http:///forum/post/3204658
+1

It never ceases to amaze me when I hear about advice given that is so far off the mark....stir the sand

Actually, its not a stupid idea... it just is not a great one for smaller tanks... See, when you stir the sandbed up(lightly) you are releasing microscopic inverts and what not into the water column... if you do this near some acans with their feeders out... they WILL eat something..
Only an idiot would just dive in not knowing anything and just stir the entire DSB up haha....