Ok its a freshwater tank, but I wanna share.

socalnano24

I spent most of my weekend stocking my pico then did an overhaul on my nano, and I looked over at my freshwater tank and it looked sad to have no attention.
So I did a little upgrade;
I've been reading up on planted freshwater tanks, had 18W 1000K on my 15 gallon tall tank. Just got a 65 Watt JBJ PC with 6500K lighting. Talked the guy into throwing in the new plants I got amd rounded it out with some new plant supplements.
Anyways, here it is beforeclearing up completley (I have Flourite red, so it gets a little bit dusty).

My next task is to look into CO2 dosing, I'm up for a small regulator and tank setup but I dunno if I have the money at the moment. So I was thinking of going the yeast bubbler setup route. Anybody have any experience?

flower

Nice tank, I gave up on the freshwater when I went to salt. I love the plants, my fish always ate them, so they didn't last long. Except for the long grass, they left that alone. Plants always made the tank look so nice. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
Man I wish there was a CUC for freshwater tanks..LOL.. I hated clean all the algae off by hand, while you rinse all the gravel off day.

socalnano24

Yeah. I'm a bit worried about new algae growth with the new lighting. Well see how it goes. Will probably need more algae eaters ( my gf calls em janitors). Hopefully the plant load takes off before algae

taznut

i had the pooffy plant that you have in the pics in my 55g fw before i set up the salt and i have to take out about a grocery bags worth every month... it was the only plant i could get to grow and i couldnt get it to stay in the gravel so it just floated around and grew so thick the bottom stuff would die due to lack of lighting...
i just used a shop light with 2 40w t12 bulbs... no dosing of any sort...
urs looks great... i cant wait to get a bigger place and set mine back up...

E

eric b 125

there are so few fw fish that i'd keep, and those that i would grow so large that if i had that size of tank it would be an aggressive salty. we had a nice fw planted tank at work before turning it into a reef. there was a lot of drift wood covered in moss. it was really serene.

calbert0

I love my African Cichlid tank. Best thing about FW is the amount of fish you can stock without worrying about your levels getting off track.
Keeping the stocklist up actually reduces aggression in Cichlid tanks because the bully loses the fish he's chasing in the crowd.

fishkid13

I looks nice.
Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3184468

Nice tank, I gave up on the freshwater when I went to salt. I love the plants, my fish always ate them, so they didn't last long. Except for the long grass, they left that alone. Plants always made the tank look so nice. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
Man I wish there was a CUC for freshwater tanks..LOL.. I hated clean all the algae off by hand, while you rinse all the gravel off day.

Freshwater do have CUC, but you have to research things before you really find anthing...

socalnano24

Originally Posted by fishkid13
http:///forum/post/3186129
Freshwater do have CUC, but you have to research things before you really find anthing...
speaking of cleanup crew, I have a freshwater crab who has it out for my plants. everyonce in a while I see him go out and trim off a leaf for himself and if he doesn't cut it clean through he'll tug on it (WITH THE REST OF HTE PLANT) until he gets what he wants, then the plant clipping will float away if it hasn't rooted yet. Hopefully my plants start growing faster than my crabs schenangians!

socalnano24

Ok so the plants won the tog of war with the crab. I think he may have eaten one he shouldn't have or my new supplements for the plants killed him off. (I know in marine aquarium inverts can suffer the most from any additives)
Here's a few new pictures of the plants thriving! I think the fluffy one is called kabomba or something.

and a full tank shot

I'm stoked, its looking really pretty. Considering trading my herd of danios in to the LFS for a herd of neon tetras instead. Too bad its not big enough to get Discus, the blue ones are gorgeous!

tang4me

Originally Posted by SocalNano24
http:///forum/post/3196409
Ok so the plants won the tog of war with the crab. I think he may have eaten one he shouldn't have or my new supplements for the plants killed him off. (I know in marine aquarium inverts can suffer the most from any additives)
Here's a few new pictures of the plants thriving! I think the fluffy one is called kabomba or something.

and a full tank shot

I'm stoked, its looking really pretty. Considering trading my herd of danios in to the LFS for a herd of neon tetras instead. Too bad its not big enough to get Discus, the blue ones are gorgeous!
Nice tank. Danios are fun to watch. I'd leave them. They add movement to the tank. Looking at your tank makes me miss my freshwater days.

handbanana

Beautiful tank! I have a 20 gal tall planted tank with 4 mollies, 4 Platies, 2 tetras of some sort and a dwarf puffer. I have an uncontrollable hair alge problem now. Ive compleatly stripped the tank down three times and it keeps coming back!
Ive done everything i can think of. RO/DI, Diff lighting, C02, even redclaw crabs.
Im going to give the whole thing to my GF and let her deal with it. SHE doesnt have hair alge in her tank.

jaxfishgirl

your tank looks good. neons are so pretty. i have a 30 gallon with a 2 gold gouramis (which after 3.5 years with me have outgrown my tank & will soon be going to lfs), mean chinese a. eater, zebra tetra, and rosy barb.

socalnano24

Originally Posted by JAXFishGirl
http:///forum/post/3217782
your tank looks good. neons are so pretty. i have a 30 gallon with a 2 gold gouramis (which after 3.5 years with me have outgrown my tank & will soon be going to lfs), mean chinese a. eater, zebra tetra, and rosy barb.
Very cool, and thank you! I always hear such a bad rep about chinese algae eaters, and mine have never really been much of an issue. I wonder if I've just had good luck

Right now I'm working on keeping the plants clean looking, currently all the new tips of the plants are bright green and the older parts of the plant are getting dark algae on them. I suppose I need to do a big water change to dump some nitrates out of the system.

socalnano24

Originally Posted by Handbanana
http:///forum/post/3197857
RO/DI, Diff lighting, C02, :
Thanks, I'm curious about upgrading to a co2 feed, but I'm currently using liquid carbon and it seems to be working out ok. There's always new growth on the tips.

socalnano24

Well I got a piece of amazon drift wood, and boiled it for an hour, before putting it in. Since then, which has been about 2.5 months. The water is slightly greener with a bit more dark algae on the plants. But It does have a more natural look to it now.

Feeding time!

Maybe time for a 5 gallon water change and maybe a bit of sand vacuuming, will clear up some of the nitrates and decrease the algae a bit.

tpnel

LOOKS GREAT! I have 3 FW planted tanks, and have gone the DIY yeast CO2 route before... let's just say I quickly ditched the stinky 2 liter bottles for Flourish Excel. IMO it works better and none of the hassle. Once your nitrates are down check into some Amano shrimp. Best FW cuc! They are amusing to watch and eat algae better then anything I've tried.