Ok.. so I never owned halides and I have a couple questions.

S

scoobs

Do pendants have an advantage over retro/hood mounted lights? I know you can raise or lower them but does one create less heat or produce more light?

chadman

i have pendants and they definately throw some heat! they are not as confined so maybe they breathe better though...

chadman

i think the light is the same i'd imagine...its the same bulbs i believe just in a smaller package....

rykna

The only benefit i could think of is the manuverability of the hanging pendants. I love my outer orbit system, but it is a pain in the keaster to hang straigh and level to the tank...let alone taking it down and moving it, which I have done.
Because of the cooling fans in the system I would think it would run cooler than a pendant.
Preferably I like the sleek compact look of the units versis the hanging pendants. :happyfish

chadman

i agree they look nice i have a unit on my 30 g...i am runnins no sump on my 55 so the pendants were they only way to fit mh's on...cause of all the filters powerheads....etc etc etc...

ghettotang

Rykna, you said that you have the outer obrit is that the USA Current Outer Orbit. And also which one did you have difficult hand the Outer Orbit or the other light because I'm looking at getting the USA Current Outer Orbit MH with T5 light bulb for my 75 gallon tank to do simple reef tank.
Thanx
Jay

rykna

I see.

The other nice thing about the pendants if that you can postion them over certain parts of the tank. With the units there's not much you can do....my cup corals did not like the bright lights and it took almost a month to find a area that was shaded enough that they would open up in the day.

ghettotang

Rykna so your saying that you like the pendant better that the light you have right now. What size tank do you have and how many inches is your Outer Orbit light.

rykna

Originally Posted by GhettoTang
Rykna so your saying that you like the pendant better that the light you have right now. What size tank do you have and how many inches is your Outer Orbit light.
I have a 90 gallon 48x24x18
the outer orbit has
*Combination high output Metal Halide aquarium light fixture
*Internal electronic ballast eliminates aquarium equipment clutter
*Features more lunar lights for better nocturnal aquarium viewing
Microprocessor controlled internal electronic ballast means no bulky remote ballast assemblies. Sleek, self-contained fixture minimizes clutter while providing the combined light output of metal halide and compact fluorescent bulbs. Plus more lunar lights to provide an atmospheric nocturnal viewing environment. Features integrated cooling fans, parabolic reflector, protective splash lens, two timers, two independent on/off switches, and two 72" power cords. Includes docking mounts and hanging bracket (can be set atop canopy or hung from ceiling), appropriate number of 150 watt PowerPaq 10000°K HQI double ended bulb(s) and Dual 460nm/420nm Actinic square pin compact fluorescent bulbs. 15" x 4-1/4" high. 48"560 watt: 2-150 watt HQI; 2-130 watt6
Features:
Integrated cooling fans, parabolic reflector, protective splash lens, two independent on/off switches, two 72" power cords, docking mounts, and hanging bracket. 15" x 4-1/4" high.
Includes:
150 watt PowerPaq 10000°K HQI double ended bulb(s) and Dual 460nm/420nm Actinic compact fluorescent bulbs, docking mounts, and hanging bracket.
Outer Orbit Pendant integrates 3 LED lunar lights with 150 watt HQI double ended bulb in a convenient easy-to-hang pendant fixture. 9-1/2" x 7"
So...no I would DEFINATEKY stick with my unit....but I was just handing out some small draw backs I ran into.

S

scoobs

Originally Posted by Rykna
I have a 90 gallon 48x24x18
the outer orbit has
*Combination high output Metal Halide aquarium light fixture
*Internal electronic ballast eliminates aquarium equipment clutter
*Features more lunar lights for better nocturnal aquarium viewing
Microprocessor controlled internal electronic ballast means no bulky remote ballast assemblies. Sleek, self-contained fixture minimizes clutter while providing the combined light output of metal halide and compact fluorescent bulbs. Plus more lunar lights to provide an atmospheric nocturnal viewing environment. Features integrated cooling fans, parabolic reflector, protective splash lens, two timers, two independent on/off switches, and two 72" power cords. Includes docking mounts and hanging bracket (can be set atop canopy or hung from ceiling), appropriate number of 150 watt PowerPaq 10000°K HQI double ended bulb(s) and Dual 460nm/420nm Actinic square pin compact fluorescent bulbs. 15" x 4-1/4" high. 48"560 watt: 2-150 watt HQI; 2-130 watt6
Features:
Integrated cooling fans, parabolic reflector, protective splash lens, two independent on/off switches, two 72" power cords, docking mounts, and hanging bracket. 15" x 4-1/4" high.
Includes:
150 watt PowerPaq 10000°K HQI double ended bulb(s) and Dual 460nm/420nm Actinic compact fluorescent bulbs, docking mounts, and hanging bracket.
Outer Orbit Pendant integrates 3 LED lunar lights with 150 watt HQI double ended bulb in a convenient easy-to-hang pendant fixture. 9-1/2" x 7"
So...no I would DEFINATEKY stick with my unit....but I was just handing out some small draw backs I ran into.

You run a chiller with that?

chadman

i was having major issues with heat with my tank...we solved the problem by buying a twenty dollar fan and sticking it at one end of the tank and just letting it blow 24/7...if it gets too cool then the heater kicks on...

rykna

Originally Posted by Scoobs
You run a chiller with that?
Nope.....thought I might have too, especially when I had my reef tank..but didn't. Now it's set up as a seahorse tank....so no problems there

S

scoobs

Wonder if I could get away with one 400w 14k pendant on a 46 gallon without a chiller.. Or 2 175w 10k's with 2 PCs