OK WHAT THE HECK!!!

mersam935

Ive been discussing what fish to get for my 30 g biocube. Ive had 2 clownfish for 2 years and many fish have come and gone but they have stayed solid and healthy. Yesterday, I got a midas blenny from a very good fish store and then ( Don't judge me) a Royal gramma from *****. I wanted to add them at the same time because i know they can both be territorial. About an hour ago I found my Midas Blenny DEAD. I don't know how he seemed a little scared but all fish are at first, my royal gramma however is happy and eating and my clownfish are fine. What could have caused this?!?!?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersam935 http:///t/396581/ok-what-the-heck#post_3533688
Ive been discussing what fish to get for my 30 g biocube. Ive had 2 clownfish for 2 years and many fish have come and gone but they have stayed solid and healthy. Yesterday, I got a midas blenny from a very good fish store and then ( Don't judge me) a Royal gramma from *****. I wanted to add them at the same time because i know they can both be territorial. About an hour ago I found my Midas Blenny DEAD. I don't know how he seemed a little scared but all fish are at first, my royal gramma however is happy and eating and my clownfish are fine. What could have caused this?!?!?

Hi,
A quarantine tank would have at least allowed for watching the new arrivals without endangering the two clowns you already had. You took a huge unnecessary risk there. You don't know what a fish has been through, just because it's a "good" fish store...they had it shipped in from someplace that maybe wasn't so good.

It's a crap shoot. I try and purchase from on-line with a 14 day guarantee. If I do get a fish from the LFS...I make sure it's been in the store longer than a day, eating good and is in good health (I don't do fish rescues)

jay0705

I doubt the gramma did it. Mine is territorial but not outwardly aggressive. It keeps to itself and the worse it does is the open mouth stare.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersam935 http:///t/396581/ok-what-the-heck#post_3533768
So you recommend next time buying a fish online?

99% of my fish purchases are on-line. It gives you a measure of protection, in a fish store...you walk out and that's it, if your fish dies in one day, you eat the loss.

If your fish is healthy for 14 days, it will most likely be able to survive long term. If a fish is sick, or super stressed, it will most likely die before the 14 days are up. I strongly recommend you use a quarantine tank...the CUC (Clean Up Crew...snails, bristle worms, serpent stars to name a few) will not leave even a skeleton if the fish dies in the display...SW critters do their job very well, the fish just disappears never to be seen again. You need a picture of the dead fish to prove you lost it. You won't get your money back, but rather the amount of money spent on the dead critter will be store credit, so you can purchase another of the same fish...or it's value.

The 14 day guarantee isn't used too often on the coral...most corals die slow...slow deaths, I have seen corals take months to slowly shrink up to die. Most times, if a coral dies within 14 days...it was in really bad shape when you got it. If that happens, that 14 day guarantee is worth it's weight in gold. Corals are EXPENSIVE, a little frag may set you back $30.00 for a cheap one.