Ok - Whats the trick to not having messy baffles?

lutz493

Ok -
I did a sump set-up for my tank this weekend.
I put in some baffles. The silicone smeared all over the sides of the tank and even with a paper towel and edger I couldn't get the access silicone up.
So now my baffles are in with traces of smeared silicone all around.
What is the trick to not having such a messy looking sump?
Bothers me enough if here is a certain trick to it, I'll go buy another 10 gallon and cut some fresh baffles.
:( :(

marvida

Just takes some practice. A couple of things that might help.
1. Put baffles in place without silicone.
2. Apply silicone using medium to large hypodermic syringe. (works like a mini caulking gun).
3. Don't use a paper towel to clean up seams, use your finger, slightly wet.
4. Practice.
Good Luck!
Ken

tony detroit

I stood my tank on end and used beer cans to space everything apart, then I used my silicone. The caulking gun tube stuff is ten times easier than the other tubes. You want to push it around the lines. Then let it cure for two days and flip the tank over and do the other side. If corners are too tight to get into you can buy a small rubber hose from the hardware store and put it on the tip of the silicone tube.
Whatever you screw up and want to take off the glass just get a razorblade and spray some water on the spot you want to clean up and scrape it up.

jedininja

I just used masking tape like when you are painting a house. Put masking tape about a quarter inch or so from where you are glueing. Then when your glue is in place, pel the masking tape off and along with it goes the silicone that smeared.

foxthorn

When I put mine in I used DAP aquarium silicone from HomeDepot. Came in a tube you can squeeze with one hand without using a caulking gun.
I placed the baffle between 2 pieces of 2x4 and used a clamp to hold them together. Now the baffle will stay standing up in the desired location.
Then I just caulked the edges using a wet finger running it along the seem to smooth it out.
Good luck...