Ok! Whos Got The Fromia Star?

shawnts106

who has the fromia star... we got 2 in , they are red all over and I need a species identity, and some serious INFO on these guys, I have heard they feed off live sponge and sessil inverts,but I have also heard of people keeping them in their reef tanks...
so are they reef safe?
Care?
etc info....

ophiura

The are Fromia milleporella....they are considered reef safe. Linckia and reef safe stars also probably feed on encrusting sponges, and various other critters on LR...just not corals and such. IMO, Fromia may be more picky in its diet, and should not be kept in a small tank simply due to its small size. The best chance, IMO, is still in large mature reef tanks.

shawnts106

I agree, these 2 fromia stars that we got in a small ( half dollar size) and red with little darker red spiky things comming out of the top of it... this one I think Ive seen in NMREEF's tank... is this the specific species you named?

nm reef

I'm not real sure of the ID myself....but I believe its a fromia ... Susan knows her stuff on them and I trust her information. Mine is in a well established and matured 100 gal with 100+ lbs of LR and lots of diversity in the micro infauna. I personally wouldn't keep one in a small system. Mine is almost too small for one to have plenty of room to roam. I have no idea what they eat but mine seems healthy and has never bothered any of my corals. SPS/LPS/softies....zoos....'shrooms......clams.....never a problem at all with the star.

shawnts106

same one NM, how big is yours? the ones we have are about a half dollar size.... It says in the new Marine Invert. book that they eat sponges and sessil inverts, microfauna and scavange a bit too...
I do want to try one, they are really interesting, I have live natural growing sponges and stuff for it to eat, worth a try Id say!