Okay, Lawnmower Blenny being a bully.

texanangel

First off, this isn't my tank, but I have seen it, and it's wierd. And I'm concerned because I want the same/similar fish.
She has a lawnmower blenny (as do I) who has always been peaceful, but then she added a green clown goby. And now the blenny chases the goby relentlessly. Is that normal? I wanted to get a yellow clown goby, and now I'm worried. I'm wondering if the blenny is chasing the green goby because the goby is poisonous if swallowed, that's all I can think of.
And how in the world are you supposed to catch the blasted thing? We spent an hour trying, with a very big net, with no success. She's trying to get her Pajama Cardinals out of one tank and into the other, as well as catch the green goby and move it to her nano tank.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am new to saltwater fish (I just have a Lawnmower Blenny and a Royal Gramma) and want to be armed with knowledge.

tx reef

Blennies are just wierd like that. I have a friend that has a LMB and a GCG and has no problems.
Just try it and see. I have a little yellow sleeper goby in my tank with a lawnmower blenny and they get along just fine......
Where in Texas are you? I am in Temple, which is 60 miles north of Austin on I35.
Always nice to see a fellow Texan on the board.

texanangel

Denton, about 30 miles north of DFW. My favorite fish seller just closed, so I'm looking for a local club or something. I just can't bring myself to buy from the local pet store, all of their saltwater fish get shipped to the store with ick! I've been to Dallas North Aquarium, but it's a bit pricey for my wallet.

1journeyman

Hey, another Denton person.
Dallas N. is way overpriced... and they will sell you anything...
Frankly our selection of good stores in the metroplex is brutal. I order all of my livestock online.
How old is your friend's tank? A hungry fish is an aggressive fish. LMB's seem to really eat a lot of algae when they are young. They get grumpy when they are hungry. A new tank or a small tank may not provide enough food for one.

texanangel

Her tank is ten years old, and serviced by pros. But she likes me to help when I can. Her tank is over 200gal, and the fish is well fed, it eats flakes, brine (live and frozen) pellets, and algae. So I don't know why the blenny chases the little fat goby.
Oh, I just went to an interesting LFS in Dallas (on the Carrollton border). I really liked the owner, he's fair priced, and seemed quite knowledgable. It called Odyssey Pets, they have a website, but it's not very good considering what they have there. If you ever make the trip down there I suggest you look him up.

stanlalee

I had a lawnmower blenny that never bothered any other fish I added including a yellow clown goby that was added a year after the LMB. The minute I added a green clown goby (alont with two other fish at the same time) the lawnmover blenny made a point to go after the green clown goby and ONLY the green glown goby. I think there are just certain shapes, patterns or whatever of certain fish that set the lawn mower blenny off. I wouldn't expect it to be typical for adding any fish. All you can assume at this point are LMB dont seem to like green clown gobies for what ever reason (not that any blenny is exempt from chasing another fish. sometimes they do that. more times they dont).

texanangel

She's going to take the green clown goby back, poor thing is still being chased. I guess I'll have to forgo one myself, as I am very attached to my LMB. Thanks for all of your input.