Old aquarium with copper?

I recently got an aquarium (for free:) ) that had previously been used as a quarantine tank and had been exposed to medications containing copper. I'm going under the assumtion that the glass and silicone seams do not absorb copper at all, but I thought I might as well post this just in case. I'm going to use entirely new substate and rocks et al. Are there any precautions I should take to make sure there is absolutely no traces of copper left in the tank before I set it up? I think it's a 30 gallon and I'm looking at setting up a small reef system.

S

simm

IMO copper can imbed itself within the silicon. Your best bet is to go to your LFS and get a copper test kit. I have always been told regardless how much you clean your tank and scrub the copper will remain in silicon and within the pores of the glass.

ophiura

IMO, I think there may be trouble too. It seems that if copper has made it in there, it will always be in there. I guess you can try, but I wouldn't put anything particularly expensive in there for awhile.
IMO, tanks that size aren't so expensive that I would risk expensive livestock. I bet that you might go on fine for awhile, splurge on something really expensive, and that will be the first thing to die from it.

mpgt

I'm no expert, but I don't believe it. I say try something like Poly Filter. I think copper would turn it blue.

2boyz

i had a 125 f/o treated with copper a number of times, than turn it in to a reef and had no problems. but i would test for copper be any additions:)