OMG fish on the floor!!!

rlablan

So while I was last posting, I went out to take pictures with my new camera and right by my BFs knees was one of my female lyretail anthias!!!

she looked sooo crispy and I touched her and her gill flapped!!! I quickly put her in tank water and she is just hanging on the side of the tank!!!
What can I do!!! She is sooo dried out!!! I put her in tank water and she is breathing steadily. She keeps ending up upside down though. And her lips are like sticking out and her mouth is wide open!!!
Will she make it?!?!

I am so upset!!! She is my favorite of my anthias! WHY?!?! WHY?!?!?

rlablan

I put some vitamins in the water. My first thought would be to put something in the water that promotes slime coat. I don't have anything like that though!!!! OMG OMG OMG!!! I am freaking out! I want her to make it so badly!!!! She has been with me for SOOO long!!!

daftboy

Not sure ... you will have to wait it out and see ,,, this happend last week to me... but i was not on time and she was dead =[

rlablan

I am SSOOO glad that I saw her! It is dark in here and my BF had been kneeling RIGHT next to her. I'm talking like a half an inch!!! He nearly squished her.
I saw here and I just screamed out "fish fish fish!!!!" and he was like "um yay, fish tank." I shoved him, the tri pod and the camera over and lunged to grab her!! She moved and I was like "oh great! Oh shi--" "What do I do?!?!"
She is sort of fumbling around in the container.
Will she get slimey again? I mean I touched her in the water too. She is REALLY dry.

rlablan

I am sorry for your loss daft.
I have never had a carpet surfer before. EVER. I have never had tops or crate on my tanks either. I wonder what could have caused this??

rlablan

The poor little dear is covered in cat and dog hair!!! I hope that won't hurt her or anything.

rlablan

Her mouth seems to be like... Permanently locked open. I can't tell if it's because she it trying to get as much oxygen as possible of if it's that it's stuck?? (It kinda looks stuck.)

rlablan

I feel kinda dumb. I am like sitting here in my living room, cheering on this poor little fish.

jackri

I've had a freshwater glass sucker -- pleco yah thats it. Anyways woke up and it was curled stiff. I mean really stiff. For some reason I threw it back in the tank with my oscar as I was running late for work and the thing took off swimming and lived. As stiff and crisp as it was it was a total shock.
On the flip side my six-line wrasse of 2 years out of the blue was found dead behind my tank a month ago. I keep an open top (and always will) but I didn't expect a jumper out of my six-line after that much time.
Hard to say if he was spooked or what but he was just always easy going and hunted along the rocks.
All you can do at this point is hope for the best as it's up for your fish to try and pull through. If it really looks like it's not going to make it you could do the humane thing.
I feel for ya

rlablan

Thanks for stopping by. I am refusing to go to bed until I know she is okay.
Her mouth is still locked open. What is up with that? I kinda wanna like... push her lips back in. I mean I won't but I feel bad seeing her like that.

jackri

Not a good sign but it may pull out of it.
I have another oscar/pleco story for you. My oscar ate everything and anything and sure enough that my pleco in his mouth one day after work. I was pissed and was like choke on it you stupid fish. Well a few hours later I pulled the pleco out and the oscar could never close his mouth again after that thus starving.
Don't count yours out yet -- could easily go either way yet and gotta hope for the best. I just added 8 chromis I bought from a local guy and he put all 8 in a ziplock. By the time I got home two were upside down and barely moved when I touched them. Well I put them in the tank and they looked bad -- missing scales and what not. Went to get the net and they moved to the bottom of the tank gasping and what not. Well I watched them a few minutes, talked to the wife turned around and they joined the school and all of them are thriving. There have been times I have had a fish in my hands ready to flush and something told me to let it go back in the tank awhile and a couple of times they've pulled through.

rlablan

I put her in the tank about an hour ago. I figure she was sliming up pretty good. She needed flow to remove it. She sat o. The rock for a few then retreated to where i can't see.
Hopevshe is out tomorrow. Still can't beleivevshe almost got squished.also can't believe my cat didnt eat her.

teresaq

when I first started, I was moving rocks around in my 55 gal. I even had some out of the tank sitting on a towel. I put all the rocks back (redoing aquascape). I stepped back to take a look, and stepped on something wet and slimmy. It was my bi-color blenny. I was in shock. I thought i had sqished it. I put it back in the tank and it was ok -

rlablan

That's crazy t!
She didn't make it and I am actually really depressed about that. She is one of my oldest fish.
On well I guess. I tried.