OMG!! We have babies!!

monalisa

I went in to feed my horses tonight...all ate fine, well except for Maya...still waiting on her. She's at least hitched to a soft hitch at the moment, right by the feeding dish.
Anyway!!
After they were done eating, I went in to turn the equipment on and watch what was going on. Left for a few minutes, and when I went back in poor Apache was doing some kind of twitching thing and he was silver as all get out...scared the bejeezus out of me. Couple of minutes later I was asking myself..."Where the heck is all that mysis getting blown up from???" Hmmmm...look closer Lisa...he had about 150 babies. Talk about scrambling to get a nursery set up. Beth came over and between she and I we got as many of the babies out that we could. I have them in a 3gal tank...warm and aerated and with one of the macro algea pockets (hopefully with a ton of pods to boot). I took water from the sh tank and from my reef to set up the nursery. Brine shrimp is set up for dinner tomorrow...I'm really exhausted, I can't imagine how Apache feels, YIKES!!
Plan is to do a small water change in the nursery every other day or so, and just do what I can to get these little buggers to grow big and strong...crazy.
I thought I had 2 females, for those of you that remember

Lisa

flricordia

That's great. Congrats. So is brine shrimp nutritious enough for them or is it a supplement between other foods? I keep hearing it isn't a good all around food. What is the algae packet? What are you going to do if you end up raising them all? Now baby raising will be all that is on your mind for days to come. Awesome!

monalisa

Originally Posted by Flricordia
That's great. Congrats. So is brine shrimp nutritious enough for them or is it a supplement between other foods? I keep hearing it isn't a good all around food. What is the algae packet? What are you going to do if you end up raising them all? Now baby raising will be all that is on your mind for days to come. Awesome!
The baby brine will be fine for the little ones tomorrow. But I will got out and find something called vitachem which is a supplement for the brine and good for the ponies. The algae pocket is something that I've had in my sh tank. It's simply a cheapo soap dish suction cupped to the side of the tank and has feather and grape caulerpa stuffed into it. Hope it benefits these little guys.
I just hope I can do good by these little ones...they're incredibly cute!!
Lisa

flricordia

I know it is expensive, but what about the little bottles of tigerpods? I have been checking them out at Petland and they actually have hundreds of live pods in them. One bottle might even be a great seeder. I believe it is a lot cheaper online.

monalisa

Originally Posted by LedZep fan
SWEET!! Send me two once they grow up

They're only a couple of hours old...right now I'm just needing to concentrate on getting through the first few weeks. So far, so good

Lisa

teresaq

congrats lisa. SWf now sell rotifers if you need them. check with Feather &fin (think thats her name) she raises kuda I'm pretty sure.
TeresaQ

monalisa

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
congrats lisa. SWf now sell rotifers if you need them. check with Feather &fin (think thats her name) she raises kuda I'm pretty sure.
TeresaQ
Will do Teresa...I'm completely in LOVE with those babies. Apache and Navajo are obviously quite black, but it looks like half the babies are black and half yellow...does that make sense?
Under which link should I look for the rotifers?
I just went to try to order the rotifers, and I can't because I don't have a $79.00 order. I'm going to check out the dr.s.
Lisa

monalisa

here are the live ones they are selling.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4
sending you a pm
Thanks Teresa,
I just ordered rotifers from shs.com with a note stating the urgency. Tomorrow my little ones will be dining on live newly hatched brine shrimp. I'm hoping that I can find some vitachem to enhance them...if not, I'll find it soon.
You should see these babies...I never, NEVER, thought that I would enjoy this so much. I'm trying to figure out the color differences, their little eyes shine in the dim light by their thank. Now that they've found their sea legs, so to speak, they're out and exploring like crazy...well, I shouldn't be surprised I suppose, they come from good stock!!

Lisa

teresaq

the place yu just mentioned also sells enrichments with dha, the same stuff we feed our babies.
T

monalisa

the place yu just mentioned also sells enrichments with dha, the same stuff we feed our babies.
T
Just went and ordered that too...hope everything arrives in time!!

Teresa...you're awesome!! Thank you, thank you!!
Lisa

rykna

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
OK, maybe just 50 or so...but it SEEMED like 150!!

Lisa
Congradulations Lisa!!!! Can't wait to see pics. Sounds like you have all the essentials
Good thing you only have to do diaper changes for Joshua!!!!

monalisa

Originally Posted by Rykna
Congradulations Lisa!!!! Can't wait to see pics. Sounds like you have all the essentials
Good thing you only have to do diaper changes for Joshua!!!!

Joshua who? Ohhhh, you mean Jonah

I gave the babies a little bit of frozen oyster eggs (NOT much), and I did see them snicking...good sign.
Here are a few pics...not my best work, but I think you can make them out.
Lisa