on the line of life and death! HELP!!!

mr_krabs

My lionfish looks like he is shedding a whitish mucues on his body. Is this normal? does he have a parasite? help me please.
:nervous:

cgpuffers

Does he have any white sopts on him? This exact thing happened to me when my puffer got ich a few months ago. Also give the Water parameters out.

squidd

Lionfish do "shed" their pedical from time to time and it is a normal occurance...
However "excessive" shedding or a "heavy" white covering "could" be a sign of trouble...
Testing the water and posting results can help in determining if there "might" be a problem...
Along with the condition and "behavior" of the lion and other fish in the tank...

mr_krabs

I'm getting my water tested tommorow since the only pet store that test water is closed today,yes he has some white spots. And i have the medicine called "kordon's Rid Ich". Whats going to happen? I beleive the nitrates are at 25 and the salt is where it should be there is no ammonia.

squidd

Couple things here before you panic and make things worse...(could happen :thinking: )
Lions are not really "ich prone" although they can get it...They do have a "line" of white spots down their "lateral line" (side of fish) and those are normal...
Be sure he has ick before "treating"...
Cloudy eye is common in "less than" pristine water but clears quickly with regular partial WCs and "cleansing" of the tank...IE: a WC is in order and couldn't hurt...(aged,aerated,temp/salinity adjusted,pH match)
"IF" you need to treat your fish you should do it in a QT or hospital tank, NOT the main tank...
Perhaps you should post this down in the Disease and Treatment forum for a better diagnosis and "proper" treatment advise...:yes:

mr_krabs

yes,i know what ich is and mylion has it. I just treat him. I have a 10gal tank,should i fill it with saltwater and put the lion in that tank?

squidd

How big is your Lion ..?
You don't want to "stress" him more in "cramped" quarters...A small one might be OK in a 10..I used an 18 gallon Rubbermaid when I treated mine...

squidd

No, ick would be the white spots...
Although the shedding of the pedicle (mucus looking layer off skin) is the Lions way of "shedding" parasites...or just cleaning himself of "whatever"..
They also do that on a fairly regular basis when their healthy...
However, the cloudy eye is different...and not related to the ick (if he has it) or the shedding...

mr_krabs

right now he is bobbing his head in and out of the water. He seems to be alright(hes not doing the death swim)