One Eyed Snowflake Eel

OneEyedEelGirl

I recently added a Snowflake Eel to my tank, he has one eye! He has his Right eye but it looks like he never had a Left. I found only one other posting about a one eyed eel so is this a phenomenon and I have a rare eel or is this some sort of sign to return the eel and find a new fish store?
I have had him for about 4 days and he seems very active and hungry, he has eaten thawed shrimp and anchovies. He love love loves the anchovies.
Also is it possible to train the eel to eat from my fingers or is that just a dumb idea?

I appreciate your feedback, I am obviously no pro.

2quills

Odds are the eye was lost in some sort of territorial dispute or some other form of aggression in the past. I suppose it could have been born that way but probably not likely. It's common in fish aggression to go after the eyes, gills or fins.

It's probably possible to train it to eat from your hand. I see videos of divers hand feeding moray's in the wild.

Hard to say if it's a good idea or not. I guess it comes down to how partial you are to your fingers.

lmforbis

If it is eating and the place where the eye should be has no sign of infection, say, from an injury that caused the loss of the eye the eel should be fine. If he was born that way he's made it this long it probably isn't a problem to him.

jay0705

Agreed, they can live fine missing an eye. Hand feeding is really more personal choice lol. He could bite you he could not. I hand feed my lion on occasion so I ain't casting no stones