? onlight schedule

zoie2

ever since I got my new nano cube, I'm getting a lot more algae than I use too. I'm thinking it's my lights. I don't like that both the actinics and the day lights have to come on at the same time. I like turning my actinics on for a bit and then the daylights, but oh well.
So when do you guys turn them on and shut them off?

dankbardy31

Which nano cube do you have? I want to have my moonlights come on after my regulars but they are wired together. Do you know anyone who has them separately wired, or rather wired to two different plugs. I run my lights at night, usually starting about 6pm turning off at 1am. I don't have corals yet so i'm not worried about it not getting enough light.

nissan577

ok maybe you have phosphates? do you over feed zoie?
this is how i run my lights. before my actinics come on, i run the moon lights for 30min. then the actinics come on and the moonlight shut off. the actinics stay on for an hour and then the halides come on. then the halides go off, hour later the actinics, and 30mins later the moonlights.
moonlights 1:30-2:00pm
actinics 2:00-11:00pm
Halides 3:00-10:00pm
moonlights 11:00-11:30pm

zoie2

I have the nano cube 12 gal and a nano cube 6 gal dankardy.
I feed my clown fish every other day and only a small amount.
Your light scedule doesn't really help me because I can't turn my actenic lights on before my daylights. They are on the same switch.
I basically have 2 choices:
1. moon lights on/off
2. actinis/daylights on/off
This is what I have been doing (up until today):
7:00 am- turn off moonlights and turn on actinics/daylights.
7:00 pm turn on moonlights and turn off actinics/daylights.
Before I turned on my actinics at 7:00am and my daylights at 9:00am. Then I shut the daylights off at 3:00 (they were actually on a timer) Then I would turn my actinics off at 7:00. The moon lights were broken in my old tank so I don't know if that makes a difference.
So now I don't know what to do

dankbardy31

Try backing down the lighting to about 8 hours and see what happens. Check your phosphates and if they are high get some phosban or something similar.

zoie2

I changed my schedule a little. I wait to turn them on until 8:00 am instead of 7:00 and I try turning them off at 6:00 instead of 7:00.
It seems to help. My tank is looking much better and not as much algae on the glass.