OOPs--very helpful kid!

very newbie

We had guest the other night and their 4 year old went to use the bathroom and while in there decided to feed the "fish" in my new saltwater setup that has been cycling. There are no fish in the tank but, he fed it most of a jar of goldfish flake anyway! Also put about a half a jar in my one gallon tank that has--had one gold fish. Used the rest to fill the votive candle holder in the bathroom too! poor goldfish ate til she died! Now what do I do about the saltwater. It's been a week and I can still see the flake settled on the bottom. I'm guessing start with a water change, but didn't know if I would have to start completely over or not. I don't have any fish in this tank, just live rock and live sand. Nice kid--hope he doesn't come back for a while!!!

jackri

Water changes will not set back your cycle. With the cycle your concerned with the bacteria getting established in your tank and water changes don't harm that as they reside in things like filters, live rock and substrate.

spanko

Do a oh I don't know maybe 50% water change with a siphon hose. Use the end of the hose to vacuum up the excess food while it is sucking out the water.