Ophiura~ A Star Question Please

promisetbg

What can you tell me about tamarisk stars? I have a small six legged burgundy and gold one that has dropped three legs. The area where they came off is already closed over. The legs have been crawling around the rocks at night and in the A.M. for a week. Do these stars reproduce like the multiflora?

ophiura

Uhhhh.....I am not familiar with the name. Is this Tamaria eg Tamaria stria aka the "purple Linckia?" If so, yes, they are close relatives and likely will arm drop. That is assuming that is what it is. However, I think Echinaster luzonicus is more likely to have 6 arms (aka "burgundy linckia"). It would also arm drop.
But any chance for a photo?????????
All in all, however, it seems like it is doing well.

promisetbg

Yes, the references I have seen{there are very few} group the purple and burgundy as one..I don't see how. We used to get in purple linckia w/ the orange feet, and then we have had some w/ the white feet...on occasion. This is the first burgundy one we have had, and it's way smaller than any other we ever had. It lived in the shop for over 2 months, so I gave it a shot and he seems to me to be doing excellent! He has been staying down at the left side of my tank. There is a sheer wall of rock on that side, and it is the direction the water basicly flows because the overflow is there. So consequently all of the detritus and nutrients wind up there. I just was reading also, that with Linckias it is best to have a tank that is very mature and not so pristine, that way they can find the food they need. This may be my first success story with a true star...wish me luck! I will work on a photo. His top is a deep burgundy, and underneath is a gold color. I also read these stay smaller. That would be good, as I have seen purples come in that were as big as the star in the photo of you...absolutely huge! And of course those fell apart.